Chapter 8: The Bio-Ship

"Through my tired eyes, I phased off the rain, with the meditation I erased my pain, there's a rhythm flowing through every vein and the melody is, never ending,"
-Nelly Furtado, Spirit Indestructible

"So," Black Canary asks as we're meditating. I've never actually meditated before, and it sounded really stupid when I showed up today for training and she said, "Today, we are going to meditate." Not fight. No looking at battle strategies. Or the best way to take out enemies. Just sit there, and do nothing. But, surprisingly, it's quite peaceful. I wish I had done this much sooner, because it could have helped me through some tough days.
"Have you decided what school you want to go to?" I laugh, not bothering to open my eyes.
"Your asking me what school I want to go to? You make it sound like your rich and famous." There's a long pause, as if she's thinking about what to say next.
"There are plenty of good schools. Batman tells me that Robin is going to a fantastic one." I let out a long, frustrated breath.
"Not to be rude," I tell her, inhaling another breath. "But should I really care?" I ask, a little bit afraid of her reaction.
"Of course." She answers, simply.

We sit there in silence for a few minutes, before she speaks again. Is she trying to act like my mother or something? Hmm, never had one of those before.
"What about your superhero identity. You know, we're basically training the team your in to become the new Justice League someday."
"I haven't given it much thought." I stretch my arms out, then rest them on my legs again.
"Let me help." she offers. "What did that reporter call you?" She starts to snap, as if it'll help her remember.

I think back to that day in the diner, where I saw that reporter talking about me. I was really happy. I love the satisfying feeling you get when you help someone, and I felt like I actually did something...right.
"You saw that?" I ask.
"Yes. He said...right. He called you Snow Queen. Do you like that?"

I open my eyes to see if she's watching me or not. When I see that her eyes are closed, I keep mine open.
"Ha. Look at me. I look more like a peasant, than a queen." She let's out a long sigh, as if she's been trying to get me to understand something, and I'm just not getting it.
"If only you had more confidence in yourself."
"Just statin'." I tell her, still eyeing her closely.
"I think you should keep that name. I also took into the liberty of sketching a costume design." This time, she does open her eyes.

She walks over to the benches lining the walls, picks something up, and brings it over to me. It's a Bristol paper sketch pad.

She opens it to a specific page, and shows it to me.

It's all white, and has detailing. The top is a bustier, kind of like her's, and it doesn't expose my midriff. It's strapless, with laced detailing along the sides. There are white leggings made from the same material as the bustier, and white boots, that end halfway between my knees and ankles. There's also a white and thin, flowing cape that goes around my neck and ends around my ankles. I hope I don't trip on it. It also kind of reminds of Emma Frost, kind of.
"That's nice." I tell her. "Who's going to wear it?" She frowns and gives me a I-thought-you-were-smarter look.
"You. Who else?" I widen my eyes at her in shock.

"Me?" I exclaim. "You want me to wear that?"
"Yes!"
"No! I can't!" I say, sighing. "I've never worn anything nice like that before. In fact, the only thing I've worn all my life are jeans and a t-shirt." She rolls her eyes at me, something I wouldn't expect an adult to do, and asks,
"Oh, will you at least try it on?"

••••

"No. Absolutely not." I stare at myself in a mirror, not recognizing my own reflection. For one, she has my hair out as opposed to it usually being in a braid, and I'm wearing pure white, which really compliments my complexion and hair colour.
"No. It looks great on you." She states flatly and crossing her arms, as if it's not up for debate.
"And," she says, walking over. "If you click here," she taps the centre of my midriff. "The outfit becomes black for recon missions, which you will be doing a lot of." From that small section, a black colour branches out onto the whole costume, kind of like what M'gann did when she changed into my outfit. I know look the exact same, except in black.