Chapter 11: Mission: Impossible

[A/N: Couldn't think of a better chapter name. Plus, I just watched the show! :) and yay! I'm going to upload the music video for this song!]

"All these years, I've been chasing down the answers, I was here, always tracing out your shadows,"

-Foxes, Holding Onto Heaven

"After further investigation," Batman directs our attention to the screen. Without costumes, we've gathered in the 'Main Hall' (as I'd like to call it) and are being told about our recent mission, and possibly a new one.

"You may have thought it was over and done." Batman gives everyone of us an intense stare before he continues. "You thought wrong."

On the big screen in front of us, five pictures of guys in they're late teens/early twenties pop up.

"On this screen, I will introduce you to each of these individuals." It zooms up on the first guy.

If bad boys looked like good boys, then this guy is definitely one of them. He has messy blonde hair, and is wearing a blue shirt with jeans. What stands out to me is the evil smirk on his face, as if he can trick you into losing all your money.

"This is the person who brought it all together, and is the 'leader' of the group. Jace Mallory. Con-man. Play boy. Comes from a rich family." He lists off the others in the group, whose names are Nick Singer, Lance Racing, Jackson Sailor and Leo Cooper.

"These men are very successful in chemistry, especially. They've come up with the Drug, which they call 'Eximius Serum'. It basically gives you all the powers of Superman, and more. It's always very addictive, and makes it's takers incredibly high." The five guys disappear from the screen, and are replaced with a huge mansion on a hill. It looks about four stories tall, with large, clear windows, a circular drive way, five car garage, and a beautiful marble entry way.

"These men have made a fortune selling the drug. They reside in a mansion in Metropolis, which is where they make and store the serum. It also has state-of-the-art security systems, such as an electrified gate, lasers, silent alarms, knock out gas, cameras. And, for some odd reason, mustard."

"Mustard?" Wally laughs, but his face shows that he instantly regrets it. Batman only nods in reply.

What the heck? How can a condiment be used as a weapon? Of course, I remember from a few months back.

It was all over the news, as I thought it was a huge joke. This super villain wannabe was commuting minor crimes such as robbing clothing stores and invading restaurants. He called himself 'Condiment Man', and used ketchup, mustard and relish guns. I bet he was one of the most easiest criminals.

But, I have to remain focused. A bit tiredly, I look back up at the screen, studying the building.

The mansion's images are soon replaced by images of seven people, who look around the same age as the men who are making the drug. There are three girls and four guys.

"Each one of you will be posing as one of these people, who are representatives for a well known and evil buyer, such as," he pauses as if getting lost thought with a perplexed look.

"Black Mask." He shakes his head and clears his throat, looking over at Superboy.

It's times like these when I wonder what they're keeping from me. All my life I've had people do exactly what Batman just did, get lost in thought, then not tell anyone about it. Like it's some kind of secret that can get you killed. I want to know, so badly what he's hiding. If he's hiding anything. But, I keep my comments to myself and start to dread what might occur if I do say something,

"Superboy however, will not be posing as a representative, but as one of the men, looking to join the crew."

Minutes later, he's finished his detailed explaining. Once he's made sure that we all understand perfectly, he let's us go.

••••

I'm now in the exercise room for another training session with Canary. She says that I have bad focus, so we're meditating again. But this time I'm a bit nervous.

This whole thing scares me. Going undercover and pretending to be someone your not did maybe two weeks. What if they find out that my name really isn't Zenaida River, a representative of Ra's Al Ghul?

Then again, if I don't screw it up entirely, then maybe I can earn my keep on this team.

"You seem impatient," Canary states flatly, studying me curiously. She almost seems concerned.

"Oh?" I reply, almost beginning to stutter.

"Your shivering almost, and you look like your about to faint." I want to ask sarcastically if it's that obvious, but I don't. I feel like I'm about to throw up out if complete anxiousness.

"I feel kind of anxious," Opening my eyes, I stretch and look at her, struggling to carry out the full conversation.

"I feel really weird about this whole undercover thing. I mean, it's different than just going in and getting something." I put my plan to my head, as it's spinning and making me dizzy. Adding to my nauseousness.

I don't know why I feel so awkward about this. It should be no big deal, but I feel so strange about it. Part of me wishes I didn't have to go, but the other can't wait to leave. I wish someone could just tell me what to think and feel, and I'll do it.

"I know," Canary nods to me. "The first time I went on an undercover mission, I was a little bit frightened. Of course, I knew and know self-defence well, in fact I'm an expert in it. But," she shakes her head laughing lightly, as if reminiscing about the 'Good 'Ol Days'.

"just think of it as...an improvised play." She offers, trying to help. "You already know the setting, characters and problem. You just have to make up your own script."

She makes it sound do easy. Just go into a drug dealer's house and destroy all they're products without them knowing, while pretending to be a rep of an evil terrorist/murderer. Wow, so easy.

Of course, I can't do anything else but take her advice into consideration. All I can do is listen and learn.

Just great. It's school all over again.

••••

The only people who actually live at Mount Justice are me, M'gann, Superboy and Kaldur. The rest of them have families.

I wonder what it's like to have an actual family. That always has time for you. That isn't drowning in debt. Almost every night at my house is, "Sorry Ara. No more food. We gotta go to sleep hungry." In fact, sometimes we'd go to sleep just to delay hunger.

I lie in my bed, tossing and turning. Tomorrow is the day we leave for the mansion, and that's the only thing I can think of. I try to push it out of my head. To think of my teammates, my horrible experiences with school, even how I embarrassed myself in front of Robin. Oh, God.

I curse myself, remembering what happened. I can't believe I just...I hate myself even more. What does he think of me now?

I sigh, rolling my eyes. See, this is one if the reasons why I want to leave. I knew that they'd all start to think I'm a freak, and make fun of me like everyone else who knows me.

I yawn widely, squinting and starring at the hard rock wall in front me. I close my eyes and try my best to surrender to exhaustion. I hope I fall asleep soon, because this mission needs my full attention.

My eyes snap open at the thought of it. Like this, I'll never fall asleep.

[A/N: A few AN's. Number one, I will be publishing the first chapter of the sequel to T6MDG (my Lab Rats fanfic) soon, I just haven't gotten 'round to doing it. Secondly, I'm going to try to upload music vidoes for the quotes I'm using. Hopefully it works! *crosses fingers as pulls up YouTube*.]