The Beginning Of An End [Pt. 2]

|| 𝐉𝐮𝐧𝐞 𝟏𝟑𝐭𝐡, 𝟐𝟎𝟏𝟓 ||

The taste of saltwater was fixed upon her tongue.

She breathed it, drank it, gurgled in it, spat in it-

Drowned in it.

The mighty ivory fangs that gripped her spine never let go for a second. It's bite was ferocious, sinking deep into her hide and letting the blood run free. It stung like hell to her and the taste was thicker than tar. Truth be told, it was the only sign the female needed to understand her fate: the end was nigh.

And her mission was over.

Now that she thought about it, everything said and done had turned out pointless. For years she was kept hidden, alone on the far side of the map, trapped behind closed doors and beyond the world she 'thought' she knew. She'd often watched the birds near the cage flutter about above her, so warm and happy. It gave her a sense of hope: that there was a land out there for her, a place where she could rule as queen. A place to be free, just a foot beyond the wall, where an endless supply of food would stretch out for miles on end waiting just for her.

She planned well, of course, to escape the hell they've forced her into. There was no need to succumb to human decency. She wasn't their dog, though she was treated as such. Nor did the hybrid ask to exist, nor was she given a choice. All of this was her father's fault. He turned her into an abomination, he hurt her to build a world only seen through a glass window, so it only made sense if she returned the favor to him... by killing it off, piece by piece.

And then turning on him.

It was a shame this joy only lasted a day.

Her freedom was stolen by the ones who turned against her. She trusted the raptors who followed her lead, the man who birthed her and abandoned her, and the ones who longed to train her, gone far too soon. They only sought to push her into the grave, to eliminate her simply because she was evil.

Evil... 

She thought about that word for a moment as she sank deeper into the pit. Why did they see her that way? Why is it that any normal act, whether it be by predator or by prey, appears inhumane to a human's eyes?

Are they not animals too? Do they not feel like we do? Or do they choose not to understand?

Alas, it didn't matter now. She couldn't answer her most sacred questions, and they'd long go to waste anyway. She was done for... and the realization was heart-wrenching on it's own.

But to know you were bound to die next... that acceptance hurt far worse than the metal beam in her belly, or the anguish she now faced.

They doomed her to this. They cursed her to fall.

They left her to rot... because they were afraid of her.

They were afraid of the truth.

That anger boiled inside her heart far longer than the breath she carried. And it was a pain that she knew would last her until the end.

At some point, the glow of the surface world faded away, giving way to the darkness. The sights of the blue raptor and the rex blurred to nothing. Only then did her lungs surrender to the might of the rumbling sea, too tired to withstand her frozen breath.

And, without much of a choice, she opened her jaws... and let fate take her.

Gallons upon gallons of saltwater suddenly flooded into her system, forcing her throat to part ways to the inevitable. Her body twitched and choked, and she writhed against the Mosasaur, frantically begging for a breath of air. The hybrid's eyes bulged, and the poor hybrid let out a blood-curdling scream.