Defenders

◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥

Tom.

    ...

    Tom, wake up.

    ...

    Tommy.

    ...

"Tom?!"

    It was a cough and a bloodied gag that brought Click back to life. The indoraptor trainer was lying limp upon the overturned roof of his truck, perfectly splayed out if in a direct route to escape. He didn't care for the crackled phone calling his name, or the wealth of burning pain spiking in his lungs. None of that mattered now. Click tilted his head; he was quick to notice his hunter's gun lying in the dirt, a couple feet away. And still loaded, too. Click exhaled weakly. That thing was still out there... he had to have a means to defend himself.

"Tommy, talk to me!"

Hissing aloud, Click weakly dragged his slashed fingers toward the nearest bulge and began to pull himself from the wreckage. His skin lightly bumped against the crusts of glass shards and metal debris, nothing too jagged to stab him, but nothing comfortable to grasp to his heart. He wheezed and groaned, using his bent leg to propel his body a couple feet from the upper window to the passenger side, then through the gaping window on the other end. Click's nails dug into sand, then scarred mud -- easier material to fasten a broken body, like his, to. But this practice wasn't without consequence; he knew his inability to move was costing him his cover. And the blood welling up from his wounds to add to it, which, unfortunately, got Red's attention.

    "Oh..."

    The towering Ultimasaurus smiled, taking his idle time as he followed his injured prey. Even now, Red was impressed at the creature's plan to kill him, had he not thought of it years before he would've won. But it was a noble effort, to some extent. Red took small, cautionary steps after Click, giving out occasional growls to scare him further -- all a means to drag his death a little longer to sedate his lust. It was worth the trouble after such a long and pointless chase.

Click dragged on, as far as he could manage, gasping in pain as blood formed upon his lips. Something was broken; he could feel it in his chest. Click's fangs grinded into his molars again and again, deep, muffled groans leaving his cracked lips as he pulled toward the gun. Just as he was about to grab it, Red's foot stepped on the hunting rifle, impounding it deep beneath the earth. It was gone... just like that. Click whimpered, weakly rolling to his back to face the grinning hybrid and his morbid red eyes.

    There was nothing he could do now.

Red snorted, eying the pesky human who bothered him and rounding his body so a shadow could cast over the trainer's body. The Ultimasaurus wanted his final moments to be of terror, not of mercy. So he salivated and purred, licking his bloodied chops at the prospect of his finest kill. Nothing tasted better than the failure of prey... lying alone in a puddle of his own blood.

    Panting, Click's broken fingers trickled down to his side pocket, drawing upon a small pocket knife to defend himself with. He struggled to keep the massive beast in his sights, and hissed in retaliation to its widening smile.

    "I'm..." He sputtered weakly, raising the knife to the sky. "Mm... not a-afraid... to d-die..."

    Red's grin widened. "Yes you are..."

    The theropod lunged; Click squeezed his eyes shut, unleashing one final cry. He heard a crunch. A squeal.

Then silence.