Devils & Monsters [Pt. 1]

||𝐍𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟏9𝐭𝐡, 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟎||

~ ONE DAY EARLIER ~

"Tom."

    "Tommy, talk to me."

    "Tom!"

    Click blinked up toward a clock. A few minutes past midnight; only now was time running slow. His eyes lowered again. The ruffled male was sitting on the high chair of his lonely kitchen, eyes entrapped on the blank wooden wall of the elder cabin. Both orbs then dipped toward the front door; Seven's body was lying there, still as silent as before. He thought, just with the slightest stare, that he'd see her breathe again. But, try as he might, even his most promising thoughts were pointless. Click knew that well enough not to try a second time.

    He looked around briefly; Jameson was on his right, sipping on a glass of amber liquid at a circular table adjacent to him. A second cup (filled with water) was in his other hand, supposedly for his friend. Had it been a different time, he would've taken it, Click was thirsty after all. But he kept still. Wordless. Breathless. Hopeless. Not even good will could steal his emotions away for the smile of another. So, Click glued his feet to the earth long before a sound could judge him, sighed, and returned his attention to the barren wall ahead. And Jameson, solemn to see his reaction, lowering the water to the table in defeat.

    Then paused.

"Maybe something stronger, then?" He tried, pouring the water out and gathering the same glass of whiskey that he took on the cabinet to pour. It was Click's, he didn't care. But even when Jameson tried again to urge him to drink, the male refused. Jameson groaned.

    "Say something. Please."

Click didn't move.

"Hey."

A crystal tear rolled down his face. His eyes lowered an inch, then returned to Seven's body, his throat convulsing through each pain-staking breath taken. Jameson exhaled, spilling his eyes over the raptor again. His teeth grinded back and forth, soft, that is.

"It's not your fault. You tried."

Silence.

"You know you did," Jameson took a quiet sip of his drink, then exhaled. "Don't let that get to you, okay?"

Another tear found his face. Heavy. Cold. Hurtful, as all things were. Enough to force Jameson to ceasefire, lower the two drinks, and step away.  "I'm sorry. I'll... leave you alone-"

"I shouldn't have..." Click paused, shifting his parted jaws from right to left. "I-I knew I shouldn't have l-left her there. In that stupid pit that Henry loves. I had a bad feeling..." He forced a staggered breath. "S-She always had good instincts. She knew what to do, she trusted them. But I..."

The male shook his head.

"Maybe," he exhaled a drawn out breath. "Maybe, I d-don't know, maybe this is what was meant to be. I couldn't save Janet, I couldn't save the girls..."

He sniveled, finally lowering his head to wipe away the tears.

"I left them out there. And then I thought the Corps would help. Then INGEN. But it's all... fake. I'm fake... for believing in it. A stupid waste of... t-time..."

Click's eyes gazed over at Seven's limp tail. Deep down in his gut a memory fired up, blooming his hollow spirits to the forefront of his sorrows.

"She..." he pointed with one finger, "m-made me the happiest I've ever been since I lost them. I didn't feel alone anymore. Or sad. Or guilty, I just..."