Epilogue

|| 𝐀𝐮𝐠𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝟐𝟑𝐫𝐝, 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟏 ||

"When will you be back?"

"I don't know. Days. Weeks. Months."

"That long?"

"It depends. However far the scent trails."

Blue's eyes lowered. She briefly peeked under her belly at a fresh, whitened egg nestled at her crotch, then sighed. It was their first egg, and it was due at any moment. She didn't want her mate to leave now. Not like this, and with so much uncertaincy in his eyes.

"It's been nearly a year, Ripper," she croaked. "You can't be sure."

The indoraptor exhaled, looking down at his claws. He wanted to agree... his heart willed it. But he couldn't. Something inside him didn't want to. "That's what I'm afraid of," he admitted weakly, returning to meet her eyes. "But I have to be sure. For all our sakes. I don't want to lose anyone else."

"You won't."

Ripper's heart sank. "A good friend used to say that... before she died."

Blue's tail stiffened. She heard of the stories he'd tell each night, about the madness the ensued after his supposed death. About the monsters that turned him into a weapon, the creatures that sided with him in a journey of discovery, and the devils that destroyed it all. It didn't feel like a happy ending, this war between humans and hybrids, and, by the look of his eyes, Blue feared it was only going to grow worse.

"I've had a gnawing feeling ever since that night," said Ripper, beginning to pace back and forth before her. "Like something terrible was going to happen. Like I wasn't out of the woods yet, despite everything."

He paused.

"I don't want to live a life constantly looking over my shoulders for danger, Blue. And I don't want our hatchling to, either."

That was understandable. Blue's eyes softened in agreement; she's felt fear like that before, and it hasn't gone away, not after everything. Yet, the female raptor was still pained by the prospect of what was yet to come. Even if Ripper found what he was looking for, what's to say he'd come back? What's to say he'd be safe? She took one more deep breath, flaring her nostrils to envelop his scent, and snorted. "You'll be careful, right?"

Ripper grinned a toothy grin. "Nothing's killed me yet."

"I killed you."

"That doesn't count."

Blue frowned. "Ripper-"

"I'll be back, Blue," Ripper cooed, licking the underjaw of his mate. "I always come back."

"You better," she raised her lips in a joking snarl, and watched the male stand upright. "Or that nonsense speech at Lockwood would've been for nothing."

"Please," Ripper growled. "I'm still the most dangerous thing-"

"Uh huh," Blue raised a brow in amusement. "Not all the time. But I'll be waiting. We'll..." she looked to the egg with a rumble. "We'll both be waiting."

Ripper cooed, passing one last, loving lick across Blue's snout, watching his mate purr in return. They rubbed muzzles together, tasting each other's scents, feeling the scales rub to and fro like friction. "Mmm..." He smiled. "You're too good for me."

"That's a first," chuckled the velociraptor, nudging him and drawing a lick of her own on his cheek. Ripper drew away slowly, beginning his slow turn into the sun-lit forest.

"Ripper!"

He paused turning his head to Blue's saddened eyes. The raptor stood upright, and puffed out her chest.

"When you find what you're looking for..." she began, dipping her head, "threat, or gift, promise me you'll finish it. And you come home."

Ripper nodded, flickering his tail from behind. "I will. I love you."

Blue smiled. "I love you, too."

Purring his thanks, the male rose up to two feet, towering skyward like a beacon in the dark, and let out a ground-rattling roar. He pushed off his feet, lunging over the crest of a hill into the distance. The last Blue saw of him was his dangling tail slipping into the silence.

The nothing more.

◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥

It took Ripper a few minutes to track down the first scent to a nearby cavern at the footstones of a Californian mountain. There wasn't much here; a few stray rocks, fallen logs, and a crimson glow of the setting sun in the distance. But the view was astounding; Ripper couldn't help but give a quick peek at the lower half of California, before returning to the task at hand. He sniffed the air, carefully ensuring he wasn't being followed, then turned toward the darkness with a hiss. The scent ended here. Ripper steadied his heart, trying to assert himself as best as he could manage, and growled.

"Hey."

His voice reverberated against the walls of the cavern. But there was no reply. Just a rush of wind that answered his hiss, which was all but entertaining to feel. Ripper looked behind him briefly, then took another step closer into the cavern.

"I know you're in here."

Nothing again. Ripper took a third step, bending his body in a predatory position, tail flagging from behind as he prepared himself. Although he didn't see much, he didn't want to risk himself this early before a threat.

"You told me you had answers-"

"And I do," snarled a male voice, seemingly from all directions. "But what does it matter to a human you like you?"

Ripper growled. "It matters plenty."

The voice laughed. "I admire your bravery, indoraptor, coming all this way to die."

A tremor shook the earth. Ripper stumbled, taking an instinctive step away. Cursing at his reaction, he lashed his tail and lifted to two feet, trying to size up the monster seeking him out... wherever he was. He could feel warm breaths pushing against his hide and tensed, allowing the creature to take a fair whiff of his scent. It bothered him that he couldn't do the same.

"But..." the voice went on, "You aren't worth losing a few scales for. And death isn't your main concern I see."

The beast paused. "What is it you're really looking for, little raptor?"

Snarling past his fear, Ripper flared his nostrils outward and answered firmly. "I'm looking for a friend. A Scorpios Rex."

The ground began to shake again. A massive shape pushed through the treeline behind him, winning a gasp of fright from the indoraptor. Ripper whirled around, staring up in awe at the approaching theropod, already at a loss for words. It's massive stature was unchallenged, and the sheer bulk of its grey flesh and decorated stripes immediately signaled it as more than just a terrifying face. It gazed down at the indoraptor with curious eyes, and grinned devilishly.

"Do tell..." hissed the Spinosaurus.