I Remember...

"You were alone for two years?"

Blink paused, offering a subtle sigh within the vents. I turned to watch him contemplate my question for a moment, before nodding -- an action just barely seeable in the midnight shadows.

"It felt much longer..." he admitted, thumping his spiked tail against the metal flooring beneath him. "Because of the things I had to go through. I could've died so many times over. I guess fate wanted me to live on... so I can finish what I started."

"If fate brought you this far I'm sure it's for more than just a kill."

The Scorpios Rex chuckled darkly. "Oh... I wish that were true."

"It has to be!" I growled quietly, turning my head to look down upon him in the darkness. "Even I know that I'm meant for more than just a token weapon."

"Which you seem to deny often," he growled back, crawling a bit closer. "Given you're still with them... and act like them."

"That doesn't mean anything."

"It does... for your sake."

"It's... only because I don't want to hurt them," I whispered weakly, puffing my nares as I proceeded forward. "Or my friend. I choose to bargain my decisions off of our past mistakes... not off of what I want. I'm not trying to be selfish-"

"Please. Every living thing has a selfish intention, Seven, even you," he hissed, now edging closer to me. "It's called instinct. Humans hate it because they fear showing who they really are. You seem to follow the same desire."

I scowled slightly. "It doesn't seem awful."

"For them, maybe. But for us, instinct defines our future. and, because we have no other incentives, we must follow our gut." He started to grin. "Though, I admit, I admire your will to deny your lust. It shows your strength. But I hope it doesn't last."

"Rrrr..."

He scoffed in amusement. "It'll happen... sooner or later. We all succumb to our urges, it makes us who we are. And it's remarkable."

"Sure..." I groaned, unamused and uninterested.

"I won't deny the creature that I am born to be," he continued. "And, because I did, I'm here now. Alive, and free. You're still Wu's to command..."

"I told you it's for good reason," I growled even louder, pausing to ensure he heard me. Blink snickered back in amusement.

"Do you really believe that? Remind me what you are again?"

I snorted, continuing to crawl through the vents before voicing my answer. "An Indoraptor."

"Which means Untamable Thief, correct?"

"I thought you didn't care what our name means."

"Well..."

My eyes narrowed as I crawled onward, flaring my nostrils as I sought out the nearby entrance to the facility. Blink continued to pester over the term, letting his thoughts run free as we crawled together.

"I know you're not the only one," he croaked. "You have his blood, too, and mine. Your ancestor sought the very same thing that I did, that we all did. The humans punished him for his fight, deeming him bloodthirsty and stubborn. And they hung his corpse like a trophy in a room."

"Are you finished?"

Blink crawled closer to me, nudging my side and forcing me to stop. I sighed slightly, bending my head to look toward him and sending out an annoyed hiss.