The Half Of Me

By the time he reached the house, it was too late.

The Scorpios Rex burst into the dark cabin without warning, his body weight ripping the hardwood door off its hinges, and slamming it to the ground beneath him. He unleashed a feral snarl, tail lashing and stubby jaws trembling in anticipation for a battle.

There was none to have.

Blink found the place just as he feared it: empty. He didn't just need context clues to figure out his terrible timing — the air was already far too cold for a human to consider comfortable, and the odors here were stale to him, like sniffing out an abandoned shed on a crude summer's day. He waded inside with caution; thin glass shards crunched like snow beneath his obsidian claws, and little copper beads (he assumed as bullets), bumped around his swaying tail with ease. Blink then looked to his right; holes riddled the drywall, evidence of a struggle. And the broken door on the opposite end of the house only assured him of it.

But Blink's heartache didn't start until after Seven's scent flooded his nimble mind. He found her at the front — just a splotch of raptor blood, nothing more. Blink drew in a deep breath upon approach; her enriching aroma swelled from the red patterns carved into the tiles, some fresher than most, others sweeter. His eyes dilated with interest, sampling the redness a second time. By his guess, she didn't seem to move from this spot. Yes, there was a scent outside on the lawn, but that was far older than here; the humans must have dragged her into the house. He couldn't put a thought to why that happened. But nowhere else in the house was she present.

That means she was lying in this spot the whole time.

Which means she's...

"N-No..."

He couldn't finish the thought. He knew it was true, no matter how much he went on to deny it. And he had nobody else to blame but himself; Blink remembered the blood oozing from her lifeless body as the truck drove her away, her fragile body riddled with his venomous thorns.

Too many to count. Too many to survive.

He killed her. Blink gave the humans exactly what they wanted. And with her scent gone and the trail gone cold, there was nothing he could do now.

Nothing but submit.

The dear hybrid faltered to his truth, losing his breath to a somber animalistic whimper, knowing it was him who doomed the white raptor. He figured all good things weren't worth protecting -- everything had already been stripped from him and now she was added to the pile. Another whine left his maw; Blink nuzzled the dry blood as if it was still her breathing self, continuing to take her scent for as long as possible. Trying to hold onto false hope. Resisting heartbreak for as long as he could before Nature (or man) robbed the memory of his love. As the tears flushed down his scales, Blink coiled his body around the damages and lowered down, resting away from the glass and easing his skull against the emptiness beneath him.

A minute passed. Then another. For a brief second he imagined Seven beneath him, embracing his warmth, nuzzling him as he once did for her. Studying his monstrous red eyes that she found innocent, just as he sought the fire within her bright blue orbs.

He pierced his fangs together, eyes squeezing shut.

Then he began to sob.

◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥

"You're lucky they didn't take away everything," A voice suddenly called, stirring Blink from his miserable nap. The Scorpios warbled in confusion -- he didn't expect to fall asleep. But he also wasn't expecting company. Blinking away his tears, he gazed toward the doorway; there stood a figure who looked just like him.