Chapter 10

I walked into the office hearing the frantic talking of the reporter on the Tv.

"Around 3:30am today, there was an incident, believed to be, a gas explosion, at the villa in Yangyang Gangwon Province. Employees of Babel Pharmaceuticals drug development division were at the villa for a company getaway and were caught in the explosion which took the lives of the 14 researchers" the reporter said.

"No" Mr Hong muttered. "This isn't right!" He yelled throwing down his papers frustratedly going for his jacket and his satchel. Vincenzo tried to stop him but he wouldn't budge. Then he rushed out of the office with Vincenzo trailing after him. Me, wanting to know what the fuck is going on followed after them ,after throwing a quick good morning to Mr Nam.

———————————————

We ran to the crime scene place with Mr Hong in front trying to stop the police from closing the investigation.

"The fire investigation is not over yet. How could the case be closed?" He said trying to stop the police.

Vincenzo and I slowed down to a walk just watching him try to stop the police from leaving.

"We found enough evidence at our initial inspection." The police guy said.

"You must check if this was arson with the NFS!" Mr Hong stressed to him.

I stopped listening because I knew they weren't going to listen. I turned to Vincenzo only to see him looking up at something behind me. I looked at him confused for a second before I glanced behind me to see what he's looking at. That's when I saw two men that looked like accomplices or just some nosy reporters.

I turned back to Vincenzo and we started to jog towards Mr Hong and the police officers.

"Don't lay a finger on him" Vincenzo said stopping the police officer from touching Mr Hong.

"Who are you?" The police officer asked Vincenzo. Then Mr Hong threw down his satchel.

"If you don't follow the protocol, I'll camp out here." He said with finality.

"Let's go." Vincenzo whispered to him then grabbed him by his arm pulling him away as I took up his satchel following after them. We stopped a couple of feet up the path.

"Why won't you take my advice?" Vincenzo asked him when we stopped.

"That I should back off this case?" Mr Hong asked. "How can you say that when 14 people were burned alive?"

"The only thing you can do now is be angry and mourn for them. But that's not a lawyers job." Vincenzo said.

"It is for me." Mr Hong stressed. "I will not cave in without a fight."

"If you don't, you'll pay the price for it. I know that more than anyone."

"As long as I can punish Babel Pharmaceuticals I can give my life." Mr Hong said snatching his satchel from me walking away.

"Why are you being so reckless?" Vincenzo said grabbing him by his arm to stop him.

"Because I was destined for this. Even though I know that the game has been rigged, I must give it my all to beat them. That's my fate." Mr Hong finalized. "Smart people may rule the world, but reckless and stubborn people like me protect this world." He finished storming pass Vincenzo.

I walked towards Vincenzo cautiously and stopped when I was standing right beside him.

"You're not going to convince him otherwise. I've known Mr Hong since I was 8, and once he sets his mind on something then there's no going back." I said turning my head slightly to look at him. He turned and we watched Mr Hong walk away. I put my hand around his shoulder making him look up at me, his Bambi eyes looking defeated. If you look a little closer you could see the pout on his lips.