4 7

YEAR SIX, CHAPTER FOURTY SEVEN

WE'RE NOT CHILDREN ANYMORE
__________________________________

It had been weeks since Draco and Francesca spoke. Francesca had only spoken to him once after she discovered the truth and it was the next morning.

"For the sake of my own sanity, please, just pretend when people are around that you and me are still... together," Francesca sighed, her lip quivering at the thought of not being with Draco anymore, but she didn't want to be with someone who was apart of something so evil.

Draco simply nodded and that was that. Francesca didn't have to deal with her friends constant reminder that her and Draco had spilt and no one would ask questions about why it had happened.

But they didn't talk. No one suspected a thing because Draco didn't talk a lot nowadays anyway.

Francesca promised Harry she would tell him the truth, but she also promised Draco that his secret was safe. Francesca knew what would happen to Draco and his family if Voldemort found out that Harry Potter knew Draco was a Death Eater and for that reason she didn't keep her promise with Harry.

But he knew, she knew that he knew the truth.

"Merlin, this table is depressing. What happened too all the jokes and laughter that we use to share?" Blaise asked, looking around at all of his friends who were silent.

Things had changed, everything was changing everyday. Getting closer and closer to the breaking point and everyone could feel it.

"We're not children anymore, Blaise," Pansy shrugged, playing around with her food. "Things are getting serious."

"Boring," Blaise fake yawned.

Francesca glanced up at Draco who was staring at her. She looked back down at her empty plate.

"You should eat," Draco muttered. Francesca's eyes remained on her plate. "I haven't seen you eat in days. Please eat," he whispered.

Francesca shook her head, standing up from her seat. "I feel sick," she said, excusing herself from the table and heading back to the Common Room.

Unbeknownst to her Draco followed.

"How long will it be like this?" Draco asked as she began climbing the stairs to her dorm. Francesca froze. "Please talk to me."

Francesca continued walking up the stairs.

"Francesca!" He yelled. "Let me explain at least!"

Francesca sighed, wiping her tears away and turning around to look at him. "Explain what?" She asked. "You joined him... my brothers murderer, what is there to explain?" Francesca asked, trying to stay strong.

Tears fell down Draco's cheeks. "Do you think I had a choice?" Draco asked, his voice cracking. "I don't want this, Francesca! I don't want this mark, I don't want the task I was told to do... I don't want any of it," he sobbed.

Francesca's face softened. "I just wanted to be happy, to be with you... but my father... this is what it costs to be a Malfoy," Draco said.

Francesca walked down the stairs and over to him. "I need you to see it from my point of view," Francesca said.

"I do. I really do, but I can't lose you," Draco said. "It's been weeks Fran, please... I can't handle not having you by my side," he muttered.

Francesca, placed her hands on his cheeks. "I know it hurts, I just... I can't, i'm sorry," she whispered.

Draco grabbed her wrist gently keeping her hands on his face. "I love you," He said. "Everything is so dark, you were my only light. The only thing that makes me smile."

Francesca cried, hugging him softly. "My mother is dying," Francesca said.

"What?" He asked.

"She's dying... her sickness is back and it's worse... she won't survive it this time," Francesca said.

"Why didn't you tell me?" He asked.

"I didn't want to burden you," Francesca sighed.

Draco scoffed. "You could never burden me. Ever. I love you," Draco said, holding her shaky hands.

Francesca sighed, pulling her hands from his grasp. Draco looked down at her with tears in his cold, sunken eyes. He didn't want to lose her, he knew just how worse off he was without her in his life, but it was selfish to make her stay.

"Stay," he whispered.

After all, Draco Malfoy was selfish.