5 4

YEAR SIX, CHAPTER FIFTY FOUR

ROTTING FLESH
__________________________________

A few days past and the corpse of Francesca's mother still sat in the same position on her couch. The house began to stink and with every passing day the corpse looked worse and worse.

Francesca had tried to talk sense into her father but he wouldn't hear a word she was saying. Amos was still in denial and Francesca believed that he wouldn't listen to her until her mother's body blew up across their living room.

Francesca just hoped it didn't come to that.

She had wrote away to all of her friends, Draco included and they had all responded, except for Draco. Which wasn't a surprise, she just hoped he was actually getting her letters.

Francesca sat sadly in her room, staring out the window into the stormy afternoon that was upon her. The rain clouds were dark, filled with heavy rain that belted against her window.

It was silent in her house, the only noise that could be heard was Ced eating his dinner. A strange noise followed by a shaky breath caught her off guard and she glanced over her shoulder, expecting to see her father, instead her eyes met with a familiar pair of icy blue eyes.

Francesca stood up immediately, turning to face the blond boy who she hadn't seen in two months. He looked horrible, but so did she. Francesca watched as Draco's eyes raked down her body, his face filling with worry and sadness at the sight of the girl he loved.

"What are you doing here?" Francesca asked.

"I don't have much time," He began, screwing up his nose. "It smells pungent," he said, looking at her.

Francesca chuckled, a sad chuckle. "That's my mother's dead body, she's rotting away in the living room..." Francesca began. "My father doesn't believe she's dead," she sighed.

"That's grim..." Draco replied.

"Isn't it just?" Francesca said. sadly, looking down at her feet.

"I'm sorry," Draco muttered, stepping closer to her.

"For what?" She replied, looking up at him.

"Everything," Draco sighed, stopping a few steps in front of her. "I wish I could go back in time and fix everything," Draco said, sadly.

"Going back in time is possible, not sure if fixing everything bad that's ever happened to us is," Francesca sighed, hugging him.

Draco melted into her touch, a small smile creeping onto his face at the feeling. He didn't want to hug her back too tightly incase she broke, Draco noticed just how fragile she looked and he hated himself for being a reason as to why her life was so miserable.

"I missed this," Francesca said.

"Me too, I missed you more than you would ever know," Draco said. "I still love you, Fran. I always will," Draco pulled away from her, holding her hands and looking deeply into her tired eyes.

"I still love you also," Francesca said.

Draco remained silent, studying her face for a moment. His own selfish thoughts taking over his mind as they always did and before he could even try to convince himself to remain quiet he began talking.

"We could be together again, you know?" Draco said. Francesca furrowed her eyebrows. "I could take you back to the Malfoy Manor, introduce you to my parents. We could be a couple again, except no hiding this time," Draco said, hope in his eyes.

"How so? Isn't your house ran by Death Eaters now?" Francesca asked, glancing over at her bedroom door to make sure it was locked.

Draco nodded. "It is... but we could still be together," Draco said.

"I don't understand, Draco," Francesca said, tilting her head slightly. A few seconds went by and her eyes widened in realisation. "I really hope you aren't asking what I think you're asking," she said. Draco gulped, glancing at his feet. "How could we ever be together again?" She asked.

Draco sighed. "It'd be a big sacrifice from you... obviously you would have to sleep on it," Draco began, dropping her hands and wiping his sweaty palms on his pants. "You would have to be really willing to put me over everyone else and I know it's a long shot but if I didn't ask it'd eat me alive," Draco said.

Francesca studied his face, waiting for him to say what she thought he was going to say.

"You would have to get the Dark Mark," Draco whispered, only just loud enough for her to hear.

Francesca scoffed. "After everything you think i'd be willing to join him simply so I could be with you?" Francesca asked.

Draco looked at his feet.

"I love you Draco, I do... but I can't," Francesca sighed. "I would do anything to be with you... but I can't do that, you know I can't," Francesca said.

"I know, Fran... I shouldn't have asked," Draco said. "I should get back home before people start wondering where I am," Draco said, pulling out his wand.

Francesca grabbed his wrist. "We will meet again Draco, I promise. Once all of this is over," Francesca said. Draco nodded. "We can move out of state, out of the country even. Once this war is over i'll go anywhere with you," Francesca said, tears welling in her eyes. "Because I love you."

"I love you too."

Francesca stood on her top toes, pressing a gentle kiss against his cold, chapped lips. Draco kissed her back before pulling away, casting a spell and disappearing.

Francesca stared at where he once stood, both happy that she got to see him but sad that he had to leave. Tears rolled down her pale cheeks and she quickly wiped them away.