Chapter 2: The stranger

MICHAEL'S POV

I woke up with a throbbing headache at the side of my head, I wasn't sure if it was because Iya knocked me out, or because I bumped my head on the roof of the table I was tethered with.

"I should have known they'll go that far"  I muttered while using a glass shard to cut the ropes to free myself from the table

It took about 30 minutes and some bleeding to finally get rid of the ropes. After cleaning my wounds with some alcohol I found in the stalls, I set out to track down Iya and my parents.

After walking for about an hour and finding the same stall three times, I was regretting not wearing a jacket like Iya advised me to. "I should have asked them for a map" I thought to myself while climbing the roof of one of the abandoned bars, "I could probably see where they are from here, I just hope they aren't doing their dumb contest without lights".

"I wouldn't do that if I were you, that roof is as weak as paper"

"I screamed out of fear, and fell from the crates I was using for support. Who are you! What do you want! I.. I.. don't have any money!" I said to the shadowy figure that was now towering over me.

"I have two things to say to you... the first is that, its rude to assume every stranger dressed in black is a thief". "Y'know if I wanted to rob you, I would have done so when you were unconscious, or when you were cutting those ropes! But how are you so terrible at cutting ropes?" the stranger said with a slightly less irritating voice.

"And what's the second thing you wanted to say?" I asked while dusting my clothes, now facing the stranger. Now that I was standing in front of him, he no longer seemed intimidating, maybe it was because he no longer seemed so tall. "I should be able to knock him out if he tries to fight me" I thought to myself.

"Oh that! Try to not stand on crates for anything, It caused some uhmmmm... causalities to the ancient humans of earth" he said, taking off his coat.

"Here, take this, you're obviously freezing" he said while throwing the jacket to me.

"Thank you" I muttered wearing the jacket.

"You still have that scornful look on your face, huh? I guess we got off on the wrong foot here, my name is Ryuuki and yours is?" the stranger said, extending a hand towards me.

"Michael, Michael Simpson" I said ignoring the strangers handshake

"Y'know, if you didn't want to shake me, you should have told me" the stranger said. "Put this flashlight on will you?" The stranger said, tossing me a flashlight.

"Why can't you hold the flashlight yourself?" I asked him flashing the torch in his face, blinding him from my line of view. Now that he was illuminated I could see him better, he truly looked really young even younger than me, but something about him was unusual and that happened to be his red pupils, "those are definitely contact lenses right?!" I muttered still staring at him.

"Because I gave you my jacket, but if you want, you can give me back the jacket, so I can hold the flashlight" he said with an irritated look. "Besides, you might want to hurry up and leave here before the wolves come here" he said before walking away from the stall.

"Hey, wait up!" I said, sprinting to join him. Please I need some directions I asked him.

"To where exactly?" he replied with a puzzled expression

"To the Grimwhale thingy" 

"You know, you shouldn't be going there, its really far, and it's not safe" he said with a concerned tone.

"Don't worry about that, I need those directions quick! I need to stop my friend from getting hurt" I said slightly regretting how desperate I sounded.

"You know, for someone that is your friend, she sure hit you really hard on the head leave them alone, you're only in their way" Ryuuki said bluntly.