Chapter 4: The Grimwhale's contest II

First of all, I want to thank you for reading till this point, it really means a lot to me 😊.

I just wanted to clarify something before we continued – the issue of the currency.

In order to relate to the value of the currency in the book, I've set up a conversion.

A dollar (1$) = 100 credits

So therefore, 5000 credits would be: 5000/100 = 50$.

Please, if you have any thoughts concerning the conversions, keep them coming in! 😉.

This chapter may be shorter than the previous chapters, I wrote it just to describe the mood and the thoughts of the people on land, during Iya's fight.

I hope you enjoy reading! 😊.

Groddy's POV.

"I have to do this, because it is standing in my way! It is going to stop me from fulfilling my dreams! Just this once, I'm so close to my dreams and you want me to give up? No! I won't give up! I advise you not to stand in my way, or you'll pay for it!" those words rang in my head as I paced around the spotter's headquarters, "I hope Iya survives this" I thought to myself while staring at the sea.

The spotters were people trained to track monsters, and for all the obvious reasons there were a lot of them in our town. The spotters had arrived at Dumbley about 10 years ago, when the government could no longer ignore the reports of the monster. Their initial intention at their arrival was to kill the Grimwhale. They came with large weapons and such, to kill the monster, but all their attempts failed, it was at that point they used what we all thought they were too crazy to use – a plasma pulsar. After celebrating their victory, the Grimwhale resurfaced, putting their efforts to shame. Some weeks later, they left the town, but they left their equipment and building to Dumbley, with the residents of the town they had trained. Few months later, the town started the Grimwhale contest, and the winner of the contest was promised 500 million credits from the spotters.

"Don't worry about your girlfriend, she's tough! I'm sure she'll be fine" I suddenly heard a voice say behind me, a voice I knew too well.

"How many times do I have to tell you! She isn't my girlfriend! We're just friends!" I shot back.

"That's what they all say" she said with a mocking tone.

"Delai, what are you really doing here though? Shouldn't you be watching the sea or something" I said.

"Of course! I knew that staring at the boring sea would be more important than talking to you" she said with a disappointing look. "However, I am here to just keep you company. The other spotters told Milo and I, that you were pacing aimlessly, between the beach and HQ. So, Milo asked me to keep you company, if it was going to help you stay calm".

"You didn't have to, I'm fine" I said staring at the cliff Iya jumped from.

"Well, but I did" Delai said

"So how is everything at the sea going?" I said, sighing.

"Finally, you asked! Iya seems to be doing fine, the sea seems calm and there are no significant temperature changes from the sea too. So let's just relax and hope for the best" she replied, her tone more serious than the cheery one she always carried around.

"Thank you, Delai" I replied.

"Whatever" she said in a dismissive tone.

After watching the sea with me for half an hour, the silence between us was suddenly interrupted by Delai's annoying ringtone, "sorry, I have to take this" she said as she walked away to answer the call. Few moments later she returned, "Sorry, but I have to leave for a bit, take care!" she said with her usual cheery tone. "Alright!" I replied her, and before I could say another word, she was gone.