Chapter 3: The Grimwhale's contest

IYA'S POV

"Did we really need to knock him out, James?" I heard Mrs. Simpson say as I approached the car.

"Yes, we had to. He would have gotten in our way, Barbara!" he shot back.

"I'm sorry" she replied

I always thought Mrs. Simpson was a weakling. Right from our childhood days she had always remained passive towards issues that concerned her family. Her reply had always been "Oh okay" or "I'm sorry". Sometimes I wondered if it was that Mr. Simpson was intimidating to her, but it wasn't. Mr. Simpson had never laid a finger on her, the worst he ever did was to yell. I felt she was simply just too timid, after all, I myself had stood up to James, a lot of times.

"Sir, the leftover ropes are in the trunk, we can move now" I said, peering towards the drivers seat.

"Okay then, Lets go!" he said with an exciting voice.

And suddenly we were moving again. "Maybe I should have discussed the true situation of things with Michael" I muttered as I tried to enjoy the boring landscape of beer park.

Michael had always been my friend, right from when we were kids. Even after I had lost my parents, he still stood by me. I just couldn't understand why he left, "I have to pursue my dreams" he said.

It was 6 months ago that the postman delivered my admission letter to the Redbridge military academy. It was at that moment that I finally understood what Michael meant and I was determined to pursue it.

The RMA wasn't like any other military academy, it was the best of the best. And that is probably why they made such weird entry requirements. Only a candidate per continent was selected for admissions. But that wasn't what made the application process weird.

The RMA made its candidates for admission complete dangerous tasks to secure their admissions, and these tasks ranged from dares, to extreme tasks. A girl from the west Minerva was once made to investigate a murder case, and catch the serial killer in four months. Another boy from north Minerva was asked to stop the poaching of green rabbits in his state. So basically, the severity of these tasks was based on luck. If only that was the same for me.

I remembered when my admission letter was delivered 6 months ago, nobody, myself included could believe that I had gotten in, and with such a simple task. I was asked to build and then distribute teline receivers in my town. This was a simple task for me, thanks to the numerous lessons Mr. Simpson had given me concerning building emergency teline receivers.

Within a week I was done with my tasks, and I sent the results to the RMA. I was genuinely shocked when they called me to the school, not to grant me admission, but for an "urgent meeting" like they called it.

On reaching the RMA, it was revealed to me, during the meeting that though I was the only one offered admission into the school from my continent and, they were willing to offer me three million credits to relinquish my admission for another girl that was the "product of a legend" according to them. I turned down their offer immediately, and then they decided to do something I never thought they'll do. In order to avoid issues with the press, they were scared to force me to relinquish my admission, so they gave me another task instead, one they believed I wouldn't have been able to complete.

They asked me to solve the electromagnetic field problem with Dumbley.

I was suddenly pulled out of my thoughts by Mr. Simpsons voice "remember to watch its eyes, so you'll know when to strike" he said in a stern yet gentle tone.

"Yes sir! The red is stop, the blue gives me 30 seconds, the dark one means run" I said, staring outside the window.

"I and Barbara were able to get some weapons from east Minerva for you, we also got some swimming gear from Neocity". He said before pausing, as if he was considering his next words. "Just be careful, and no matter what, make sure you come back to us, okay?" he said turning to look at me as he brought the car to a stop.