28.

distraction

"- yes, then I made myself clear

"- yes, then I made myself clear... like you said."

Hinata winced slightly as Oikawa ruffled his hair, a bit too enthusiastically. It was the next day, before his shift, when he was filling the man with every little detail of his and Tsukishima's conversation. Gently, he swatted the man's hand away and back-pedaled from him with a chuckle. "That's too much energy, Oikawa-san!"

"I don't want to hear that from you!" The brunette scoffed loudly, lightly flicking at the shorter lad's nose. "Good thing that you listened to me."

"I mean, you were quite brutal about it."

"You seem like someone who needs to be instructed pretty outspokenly, Shō-chan. Otherwise, your four eyes would've ended up the same way like Atsumu." Oikawa chided crisply, smirking teasingly.

Just the mention, and the air started to feel heavy for the younger bloke. It was still too early for him to joke about the matter. The boy visibly cringed at the teasing remark.

Hinata felt a lump forming in his throat at the mention of Atsumu. "I am not very keen on how it all went down, Oikawa-san." The previous happiness in his tone had faltered, his voice quiet.

"Oh... ugh, I'm sorry, Shō-chan." Oikawa leaned over the counter to reach out for the boy and was pretty fast to hug and pull away from Hinata, as they were still inside the store. "I will stop bringing that up."

Hinata waved his hand, back and forth, dismally, to brush off the apology from the older man. He didn't really understand how to react when people older than him apologized to him. "Oikawa-san, there's one more thing... um, can I get two days off? The following Friday and Saturday."

"May I ask why?"

"Next Monday, I have this really important test- and, uh, I am not at all prepared... so, y'know, I've asked one of my classmates to help me with the subject." The redhead offered the man a sheepish smile, secretly hoping for him to approve his request.

Oikawa seemed skeptical, racking his eyes all over Hinata's face to find any trace of a lie; however, he found none. "Okay... just because your studies are in question. Don't waste your time, work hard. Good luck." The brunette flashed him a friendly smile.

"Thank you!" Hinata gushed out, relieved.

"You're welcome. Now off to your shift."

-

Last twenty four hours were pretty forbearing for Tsukishima. Surprisingly, nothing obnoxious had happened and spoiled his mood. Since the morning, he was in a peaceful state of mind. A major reason for his calm demeanor was because of Hinata. He was quite surprised that his first ever confession actually went right, was quite decent and Hinata was willing to work things out with him. Although he had tried the same with Atsumu, which definitely didn't end right, Tsukishima didn't want to jinx their relationship with his pessimistic thoughts.