PIECES

J A N U A R Y

"We're done."

The blonde looked at his now 'ex' girlfriend with wide eyes. He didn't really register what she had said until she turned to walk away and he felt a stabbing pain in his chest.

"W- wait! Zume-chan!"

She continued, ignoring his calls and the girl he had been dancing with stared at her with a smirk, her arms crossed.

"Well, I guess he's all mine then huh?" Her nasally voice scratched everyone's ears and Suzume looked at her, nothing but emptiness in her eyes.

"Go ahead." She said emotionlessly as she side stepped the red haired girl to leave.

Atsumu couldn't gather all the information in his fuzzy brain fast enough, he was losing her, no, he had lost her.

"Zume-chan please! I didn't mean it!" He called desperately but she didn't listen. She knew he had meant it, why else would he say something like that to the one he was supposed to love?

She froze when she saw Oikawa standing there with a sad sympathetic smile. She immediately broke down and ran into his arms crying.

"Shh it's okay, I'm here." He comforted her patting her back as he watched the twins start to argue. His gaze was on Atsumu, glaring hard at the guy who had just made his Ushi-chan cry. He had seen the whole ordeal, and he was shocked to say the least.

In ways, he was similar to Atsumu. He was petty and said petty things to make others feel bad if he didn't like them, praying on the weak points he learned to uncover so easily, but never in his life would he dream of doing it to someone he cared for, little own someone he loved.

"He... I never thought..."

"Hey, shh it's okay, you don't have to talk about it right now." The girl nodded into the brunette's shoulder, his soothing voice helping to calm her down as she let out her tears.

Osamu came over and Oikawa nodded to him to take her. Osamu agreed putting, an arm around the girl and taking her back to their hotel.

As for Oikawa, the boy with the most charming face, glowered at the setter of Inarizaki.

"I hope you're happy with yourself." Oikawa taunted as Atsumu looked up at him, his emotions form earlier dissipating and only leaving him with annoyance for Oikawa's uncanny ability to get under peoples' skin. Even worse than him.

"What?"

"You took Ushi-chan's most vulnerable thoughts, her worst nightmares and threw them in her face. And for what? Because you lost? It wasn't her fault."

"You don't understand." The blonde angrily spat trying to match Oikawa's stance, but the boy was simply more intimidating, and it didn't even look like he was trying.

"Don't I?" Oikawa spoke challengingly. "Ushi-chan and I are the same, both fighting for something that always seems to be just out of our reach. That's how we met you know..."

He was pissed at Atsumu for destroying her feelings in the manner that he did not just because he loves her, but because he could imagine the heartache she would have felt.

- Flashback -

Oikawa had met Suzume when she was in her first year of high school at the Inter-high prelims. Suzume's team had also just lost the finals match and she was feeling rather dejected.

Oikawa had bumped into her after also losing his finals match against her brother's team and she admitted that he was very attractive.

But with one look, she saw beneath all that.