Chapter 36 - " 3..2..1..."

Seven years ago

" guess what!" I smiled over at Niall as we walked home from school.

We've lived next to each other for years so walking home together was nothing new. Usually Niall wouldn't even go home, we would go straight to my home and hang out. But unfortunetly we he would go home even when his parents didn't say anything, and that was often.

I knew Niall's family was different. They weren't like mine. Even though I was an only child, I never really felt alone with both my parents there. They were always so focused on me and the things that I did that there was no room for me to feel ignored.

As for Niall, he had two very older siblings. His older sister, Indiana had went off to Chicago and was hardly ever back to visit. His older brother, Jonah had gone off to college but ended up getting mixed up in drugs and eventually became a problem for the family. Jonah was in and out of rehab weekly. His parents were so preocupied with Jonah that Niall became the forgotten one out of all his siblings. That's part of the reason my parents cared so much for Niall. Other than that both of us just became to close to each other, like brother and sister but better.

" what?" he asked.

" my parents are taking me to New York City next week!" I smiled at him.

" is it about that modeling agency thing?" Niall asked as he rolled in eyes.

I nodded as I skipped happily. Modeling was something that people had told me to do for my entire twelve years of age. But being a kid you never take those things seriously. But one of my teacher's wive's was a model scout and thought I had a certain look her company would love. I took a head shot for her and was submitted to the company.

A few weeks later, the company called my parents with information about a casting call in New York. My parents at first thought it was a scam even though I begged them to believe it. It wasn't until my teacher's wife talked to them that they agreed to take me to New York. My mom was more on board than my dad was. After all I was his little girl.

" aren't you excited for me?!" I pushed his side.

" no" he confessed.

" why not?" I scrunched my eyebrows.

" because you're going to move to the city and forget all about me" Niall shrugged.

" that's never going to happen! You're always going to be my best friend" I nodded.

Saying that, I truly meant it. At least I wanted it to stay that way. I had other friends at school and in the neighborhood but it wasn't the same like it was with Niall. I didn't have a filter around Niall like I did with other people, and I liked that.

Both of us walked up my driveway and into my house. I dropped my book bag next to the couch as we passed the family room, as did Niall. Like usual we went straight to the kitchen. After school snack was always a necessity. But as we walked into the kitchen we saw my mother standing there with the house phone in between her hands. The expression she held was like something I had never seen before from her.

She looked terrified yet sad at the same time. As she heard our footsteps her eye lifted away from the phone. I could see her eyes sparkle from wet tears forming in her eyes.

" what's wrong mom?" I asked.

Immediately her eyes drifted away from me.

" I have to go" she said dropping the phone onto the kitchen counter and walking away from the kitchen only making me chase after her.