Chapter 43 - " your surprise is inside"

My eyes fluttered open as the light from the windows became too strong for me to sleep anymore. I tried moving but I couldn't. I looked over to see Harry's arm wrapped around my body holding me tight. Harry was sound asleep. All I could hear from him was his low breaths. I slowly ran my fingers through his hair.

I had stayed up almost all night just watching him. As creepy as that sounded, it wasn't. I watched him fall asleep in my arms and stayed awake just in case he would wake up and need me. I wanted to be there for him as much as possible even though I didn't even know where our relationship was at, at the moment. I just knew that I wanted to be here, with him.

I slowly pulled myself away from his embrace, careful enough not to wake him up. Harry groan a bit in his sleep but never opened his eyes. I quickly changed the clothes I was wearing and left Harry's bedroom before he could even notice.

As soon as I made it down stairs to the kitchen, my eyes met with Cheryl, Mrs Tomlinson. She had her hand wrapped around a mug and she smiled at me.

" Merry Christmas dear" she said.

" Merry Christmas" I smiled back realizing it was actually Christmas morning.

" some people have already arrived for this morning. We're just waiting for the rest to open the presents for the kids" she warned me before taking another sip of whatever was in her mug.

" I'm not sure if Harry's going to wake up for it" I admitted with a short smile.

" oh he will, he always does" she laughed.

Cheryl offered me tea which I quickly declined, taking a glass of water instead. I watched Louis and eventually Jess coming down the stairs and into the living room.

" Jessica told me what happened last night" Louis' mom said.

I didn't know how to respond exactly, so I stayed quiet taking another sip of my water.

" Harry's been through a lot. Jessica too but she doesn't remember much, her brain blocked a lot of those things out. But Harry remembers it all. I knew their mother a little bit. Lily" she began with the story.

I looked around to see if anyone else was listening but it seemed that the coast was clear, thankfully it was. I could faintly hear some laughters coming from the living room.

" I didn't realize what was happening in that house hold at the time. Harry would come over to play with Louis but he would never say anything. By the time I found out, it was too late. Their father went to prison and the kids became orphans. That's when I decided to take them in. They had already suffered enough, they needed to be together in a safe environment. Jessica was very quiet in the beginning but through therapy she became herself again. Harry was a little more difficult. He began acting out, drinking and staying out all night. There was no point in forcing him to go to therapy like Jessica. He had to figure himself out and I just had to show that I cared about him" she said.

" I think he turned out okay" I smiled.

My mind began wondering what Harry acted like at that time. I imagined him acting like the time when Lia broke up with him, only worse. Harry drinking till couldn't handle it anymore. Harry hooking up with girls right and left.

" I also want to thank you" Cheryl nodded.

" for what?" I questioned.

" you're the first girl that Harry's ever brought home. I can tell that he really cares for you and that's rare for him. I know Harry's not the perfect boyfriend but I hope you realize that he's never seen a functional relationship, he doesn't know how to handle it" she explained.