A Promise To Be Made?!

It has been three days after everyone had left Syrup village. The going merry was quietly sailing along in the sea. Small waves crashed and rocked against the ship while clouds slowly drifted above in the starry night sky. The newly made jolly roger flag, painted by Usopp, was waving high on the mast as a gentle breeze of wind blew the ship on it's journey. The flag had a skull, wearing Luffy's straw hat, and crossbones on it. Eventually, everyone agreed to be called the Strawhat Pirates as the official name for the pirate crew. Luffy, Usopp, Aya were sleeping together in the crew cabin. Zoro was was on lookout duty on the crow's nest, watching for any signs of trouble. But, he eventually fell asleep as well, snoring very loudly. Nami chose to sleep in a separate room with a bed. Suddenly, Luffy accidentally kicked Aya in the head, painfully, waking her up. She sat up, as she glared at the straw hat captain who was still fast asleep.

"Dang it, Luffy!" Aya growled as she thought to herself as she rubbed her head. She was about to punch him right on the top of his head, but she was too tired to do so. She tried to go back to sleep as she laid down but couldn't get comfortable as she tossed and turned. Aya sighed and got up. She looked over at Luffy and Usopp to see the two sleeping together. Aya had to admit it, she and Luffy had grown closer to Usopp over the past couple of days. He was more than just a member of the crew. Usopp was practically their brother. She felt the same for Zoro and surprisingly for Nami, whom she had some fun girl talk with, considering being the only two girls on the ship. Aya smiled then turned around, and quietly walked up the stairs. However, as she did, Usopp had woken up hearing Aya leave and quietly followed after her, leaving Luffy alone sleeping in the crew's cabin, snoring loudly.

As Aya walked on the ship, she noticed that it was night time, probably in the middle of the night. She looked up at the crows nest.

"Zoro? You see anything?" She called out. She got her answer when she heard loud snoring coming from Zoro. Aya chuckled softly shaking her head.

"You bonehead," She murmured. "Sleeping on the job." Looks like she was on lookout duty for now. Aya walked over to the side of the ship seeing the waves crash against the boat and stars reflected in the water as the ship sailed. Then Aya heard someone call out to her, hearing their footsteps as they walked over to her. Aya turned around to see Usopp until stopped, now standing right beside her.

"Hey, what are you doing up?" Usopp asked.

"Couldn't sleep." She answered Usopp. "Why are you up?"

"Oh yeah, that reminds me..." Usopp rummaged in the pocket of his overalls and pulled out Aya's necklace holding it out in front of her. Aya stared at it, surprised. The broken chain was now fixed.

"My necklace?!" She exclaimed, happily, taking it from him. "You fixed it!" Usopp smiled.

"Yeah, it was no problem! It was nothing that I couldn't fix!" Usopp jumped, startled, when Aya suddenly hugged him.

"Thank you, Usopp! You don't know how much this means to me! I could just kiss you!" Usopp blushed and Aya released him him stepping back. She froze, blushing as well realizing what she had just said. Neither said a word for a while, listening to the waves. Aya slowly shifted her gaze over to Usopp, seeing him still looking at the sea. The more Aya thought the more she couldn't get the image of her head. Of how Usopp jumped himself in front of Kuro's attack taking the blow that was meant to be for her. He could have died.

"Can I ask you something? It's been kind of bothering me for a while now." Aya asked, not looking at him, gazing out towards the ocean.

"Sure, what is it?" Usopp asked.

"Why did you risk your life for me back on your island?"

Usopp's eyes widened. "Are you kidding me? I just couldn't let you get hurt." He said. Aya bit her bottom lip, playing with hands. She couldn't do this. She can't get close to anyone. As much as she wanted to, to experience love for the first time, to have a boyfriend, to have a first kiss, she can't. It would only hurt more. It would only hurt them more. She wasn't going to put anyone through that.

"Usopp, can you promise me something?" She asked.

"Yeah, sure what is it?" He asked, confused.

"If somewhere down in the future, I'm unable to fight or in danger, don't risk your life for me, like you just did."

"A-Aya, what are saying? I can't promise something like that!" Usopp sputtered, shocked. "Why would you ask me to do something like that?"

"I'm dying." Usopp froze, staring at her. He stared her confused. Aya was dying?

"What are you talking about?" He asked.

"I have an unknown disease that's incurable and I will eventually die. It's not contagious if you're worried about that," she explained. "It damages my lungs and eventually my body will eventually fail. Soon, I won't be able to walk, that's what the doctors told me. They gave these pills to help slow it down, for now." She finished telling him, then made a small laugh. Why was she telling him this? She shouldn't...She promised herself that she wouldn't get close to anyone. Aya continued. "You know what the funny thing is. They gave me five months to live...that was four months ago. Guess that goes to show, that not all doctors really know everything."

"Does Luffy or anyone else know?" Usopp asked.

"Zorro knows a little of what I've told him. Nami, is starting to know something's up. She's very observant. But, she hadn't said anything." she told him. "Luffy... He knows that I'm sick. But, he doesn't know that I'm dying. He can't know. It would devastate him if he found out. You are the only one who fully knows what's wrong with me."

The sun began to rise out from the horizon, starting a new day. Aya turned walking away from Usopp, and started heading towards the kitchen.

"I'm going to make some breakfast for everyone. Considering, we don't have a cook yet. I'll call when it's ready."

Usopp was still standing where he was trying to process everything that Aya had just told him.

Promise of not, he was going to help her with whatever he can. If it didn't involve himself dying of course. He would rather avoid fighting all together, if possible. But, for Aya, if she was in any danger, he would try. Usopp found himself shocked to think that. Why did he care so much for her? He did see Aya practically as a long lost sister, the same goes for Luffy. But, Aya also made him feel the same as he did with Kaya.

Then, it clicked in his brain and Usopp eventually figured it out....

He was in love with her, as well.