40 | A Lie

Z I O N

Z I O N

She broke up with me on Friday.

It was now a Thursday, and in the entire week that we were broken up, she didn't even look my way.

Pearl either knew I was staring at her, trying to get her attention and avoided it, or was completely oblivious. I doubted the latter.

In English, she sat in the worst spot. I couldn't even sit anywhere near her because every time I entered, she made sure every spot around her was occupied.

"What's up with you?" Nicandro asked me on Monday when I rocked up to school.

"Nothing," I lied to him.

"I'm not happy-"

Bullshit.

"Are you sure?" Nicandro questioned me on Tuesday, not believing I was fine.

"Yes," I didn't even glance at my friends either.

"Then fucking act like it," River spoke to me on Wednesday, mumbling under his breath as he nudged me. "Gabby's back. Why the fuck do you look so upset?"

I ignored his question. I probably glared at him, too.

Gabby never said anything. Since he came back from wherever he was. He didn't speak. Not even to Serenity.

He had spoken to the authorities, but after that, he locked himself up in his mind, refusing to let us know what he was thinking or feeling.

I didn't know which one hurt more. Having both people I care about so much not speak to me or not knowing what was going on.

"Thank you for joining us, Pearl," On Thursday, I sat in my usual seat in Ms MacQuoid's journal or news article class, or whatever it was called.

At the sound of her name, I perked my head up. My heart stuttered in my chest at the sight of her.

She wasn't even looking at me, but I didn't care. Pearl was here, in the class she didn't bother attending for the past week.

Her hair was tied into a low bun, only a few strands out of place on her face. I couldn't see her eyes properly, but I already knew they were avoiding me.

"I'm not staying," Pearl fumbled with the paper in her hand and gave it to the teacher.

Ms MacQuoid read it, adjusting her glasses, before nodding.

"You've missed out on quite a lot this past week," Though she spoke with a quiet voice, I could read the teacher's lips.

"I'll get Autumn to catch me up," Pearl replied, and I read her lips too.

I missed her. Too much. It wasn't even a week, yet I wanted to get out of my seat, pull her out of class and make her explain why she didn't want me anymore.