42 | I Miss You

a/n: I'm not sure if this is a trigger warning, but this chapter briefly mentions religious trauma

a/n: I'm not sure if this is a trigger warning, but this chapter briefly mentions religious trauma. also, reminder to respect all religions and cultures. it's not the religion or culture that hates. it's the people that change the meaning of it.

Z I O N

When Xyla told me she wanted to get dropped off at Pearl's house, I thought my heart had malfunctioned.

"Why?" I asked her once I knew I could still breathe.

"Because I have a group project with Nev," Xyla raised her eyebrows, looking at me pointedly.

My eyes narrowed on hers, wondering if she caught onto the events of the last week.

"So, is that a yes, you'll take me, or a no, I'll have to find someone else to drop me off," She crossed her arms across her chest, glaring at me.

"Only if you talk to me on the way," I suggested. Okay, so I didn't give her much of a choice, but she was my sister, and I prayed she felt comfortable talking to me.

Xyla sighed before agreeing.

Then we were on our way to Pearl's house, and my heart felt like it was plummeting out of my body.

"What would you like to talk about?" Xyla leaned back against the passenger's seat and stared out the windshield.

I shrugged.

"Is this a me thing?" I saw her turning around to face me. "Were you hoping to talk about me or you?"

I stayed silent, too consumed with my own dread to even register what she was saying.

What the hell was I doing?

"You," I finally answered, tightening my hold against the steering wheel.

Xyla nodded and hummed, thinking for a moment.

"I feel like I should tell you for the hundredth time that I have an actual therapist now, who can professionally help me," The emphasis in her voice made me believe she didn't want to talk to me at all.

My eyebrows furrowed at the thought of her not wanting to talk to me. My chest felt constricted with the need for someone to talk to me.

I wasn't sure what happened with my friends, but we weren't the same as before. With the silence of Gabriel, Nico and River also seemed to be drowned in his sorrows. His silence was piercingly loud, and I didn't think any of us could do anything about it.

Xyla clicked her tongue in annoyance when I didn't answer a question.

"See? That's what I'm talking about," Her voice was softer now as she turned to look out her window. "You're so quiet now. And, fine, maybe I don't want to talk to you about therapy stuff, but what about Pearl?"