Six

'Facing the problem is better than avoiding it' Clem hears in her head over and over as she pulls the curtains back. Yeah right, she thinks, when she sees the look on Beth's face. Screwed up in concern and thought. Clem might as well just turn back around, she knows what this is about. Celine was never the one to keep her mouth shut, and if she didn't snitch, Beth wasn't stupid.

Clem smiled to the best of her ability, trying her best to look carefree and happy as she usually was. But it might have not been convincing, as Beth looked more than a little confused. Perhaps I was the dark circles under Clem's eyes. She wasn't getting the best sleep lately.

"I need to ask you a question," Beth seats, more as a suggestion than anything. Clem found it pretty strange how Beth was phrasing the question, but the panic in her brain overrode the logic in it. She felt as if the world might be crumbling, which she knew was a big reaction to something like this. Yet she nodded.

Beth then informs her, "I need the answers for the assignments in Mr. Hudson's class. I didn't finish his work earlier," Beth sounded insecure as if she was worried about bothering Clementine.

There was an overwhelming amount of relief that came from the simple words she spoke. Perhaps it was stupid, but the memory of being abandoned by the other she called friends for years just came back to her mind when Beth mentioned her question. Maybe it was the serious air she constantly held, or the specific words she spoke, but those words surfaced the awful feeling of falling she felt that day.

So, when Clem smiled, it was one of pure joy, because this time, it wasn't happening, "Of course, but why so late?" She asked. Beth rubbed the back of her neck sheepishly, seemingly not having noticed Clem's skittish and odd behavior.

"Ah well,"  Beth began, "I had a lot of work in my other classes, and I was busy yesterday at school and after, so I had basically no time to get it done. I need this assignment done as soon as possible too," She explained, using way too many hand gestures.

Clem laughed, and it was close to the hysterical laughter people in shock have. It was mostly the emotional rollercoaster the day was, the worry that held up to the conversation, and the start of it and that made her nerves so much more wired than usual. Being in Beth's presence, just having a normal conversation, the tension left her shoulders, and she found herself leaning against the window, truly relaxing.

Clem smirked, confident once again, "Sounds like a good excuse for saying you were just procrastinating" She teased.

Beth scrunched up her face, looking much like an angry bunny, "I'm not a liar!"

"I'm sure you aren't,"

"It's not my fault I take harder classes than you,"

Clem put her hand on her chest, acting as if she was offended, her mouth hanging agape like a fish, "You imply I'm stupid?" She questioned.

Beth smiled back at her, sickly sweet, "Yes I am, dumb-dumb,"

"Ah, sounds like you aren't getting the answers then," Clem shot back.

They both found each other staring at each other, trying to scare one another. Clem found herself instead of being intimidated, she was captivated by Beth's eyes. A very strange blue color, and in the moonlight of the night, it looked like a milky gray color with a slight hint of blue. Perhaps there were flecks of green somewhere in there too.

Then the both of them started to laugh, it was a lovely moment for the both of them. Clem felt as if the both of them were letting out the residual anxiety both of them had built up about each other. And maybe now both of them have realized that maybe they didn't have to be afraid of looking stupid to each other. Clem knew she wasn't afraid anymore now, seeing as Beth didn't care.

But she couldn't help but wonder what Beth also thought. 

When they finally gathered themselves, they let out a few giggles until there was silence settling over them. Only then, with the tension having left her body, and the anxiety not as bad, Clem could feel her eyes get tired, and her body feeling vaguely like it was floating.

"You okay?" Beth mumbled, her timid voice sounding from across the way. Clem looked over, Beth was playing with her fingers. 

Clem smiled slightly, "I'm okay, I think," She replied, and for the first time in a long time, she might have just been telling the truth this time. But being superstitious, she was cautious about that belief.

It was a few days later, and Clem found herself without a ride to school. Her mother would be very busy in the next few weeks and couldn't take her to school, so she would have to walk. It wasn't a very far walk If you got out early enough. So the struggle of getting up earlier than usual really weighed. But there was one good thing about this arrangement.

Clem knew that Beth had walked to school, and perhaps they could walk together. Clem didn't think much of it, leaving the house and walking the few steps over to the house next door and waiting for Beth at the front door. She had rung the doorbell, and then the worry came in, like, what if Beth told her to go away?

But Beth answered the door, looking like she was happy to see her. 

"I have to walk to school now," Clem told her, Beth nodded, "Wanna walk together?"

Beth smiled genuinely, "Yeah sure, just let me brush my teeth, I'll be out in a moment!"

So Clem stood there in the cool morning air, warming her hands. She wasn't cold though, she had a thick jacket, and most of all, she felt content.