Thirty Six

A/N: The POVs from this point on are going to be inconsistent. I'm sorry if it annoys you, trust me, it annoys me too.

Elizabeth couldn't believe how stupid she had been, how stupid everyone had been. Believing someone at face value, just because everyone wanted to hear how horrible this one person was, or how slutty this girl acted. Because everyone cares about everyone's business. Who fucking cares what this person did. Elizabeth didn't care, she never did. But why did everyone else care so much?

Maybe it's why everyone believed Anne was the one who spread the rumors. Why they believed that Clementine was gay, or that Beth tore up the paintings. Everyone wants to hear something about someone they don't really know because it's easier that way. And who cares what happens to the people they talk about, because they aren't really important, are they?

Needless to say, Elizabeth was angry. But she also felt incredibly stupid. Of course, it wasn't Anne. Anne wasn't being vindictive and awful the entire time she knew her, but who was? But she didn't understand why Celine would do the things she did, especially to her friend.

Beth continued to wonder about it, thinking about it for days. It impeded her mind even in class, and when she passed Celine in the hallways and met her eyes, there was the subtle threat still there in Celine's posture.

Tell anyone and I'll make you regret it.

But Beth wasn't really afraid of Celine, because there was absolutely nothing she could do to make Beth regret it. What she was afraid of was what would happen if she were to tell Clementine about it all. She didn't want to hurt Clementine more than she had to. But how long could she keep this secret before it eventually got revealed?

Every day, Beth tried not to worry about it. Went home and continued the same routine that was each and every day. Waiting outside for the arguing to finish, or going to the library or somewhere that wasn't home. Eventually going home because she had to. Seeing the same arguments play out. Eat her feelings. Forget about homework.

Beth was tired of the same damn routine. She didn't want Violet around anymore, because Violet wasn't Violet anymore. An angry shell of who she used to be. An angry, sometimes violent shell. Tearing up beloved books Beth tried to keep in good condition for so long just to piss off their mom. Banging on her door with a hard fist to scare the shit out of Beth. Beth herself was starting to get angry, and even a slight feeling of hatred entered her body that built up every time she saw her sister.

Violet had once been so kind and loving. She treated everyone with respect. Even at one point, their mother, even though they had always had a rocky relationship. But even though Beth didn't want to see it or admit it, everything was different now.

Beth was tired of all this. She didn't understand why her mother had dealt with it up to this point. But Elizabeth wasn't as patient as her mother, and she was bound to reach her breaking point soon enough.

She reached her breaking point on a Thursday afternoon, coming home from school. It was eerily silent, which put Beth on edge. Because of Violet and the problems she liked to cause, their mother was home much more often than she used to be. Her car was in the driveway, but it was silent. Beth hesitated before walking inside.

She found nothing out of order, the dining room and living room were still in good shape. It was too quiet though. Beth stood and listened. Nothing seemed to be going on. Beth did not relax, however, walking slowly upstairs and to her room. It was closed, which was not allowed unless it was nighttime and they were going to sleep. Beth looked to her left and right and opened the door.

She found her room an utter mess. Things scattered around the floor, one of her posters torn off the war and crumbled on the ground. Her bedsheets seemed to be torn. Her lamp was on the floor. Beth looked around in mute horror looking at the mess she was sure she couldn't have caused. Someone with real anger problems caused it, and she knew exactly who.