Thirty

Befriending people became much easier for Clementine after meeting Mika and Olivia. The act of meeting people was not as terrifying as it was a year ago. Clementine was relieved that fear no longer overtook her like it once did.

But there was another problem that Clementine didn't want to confront. Beth wasn't doing well, and Clementine could expect as much, but there seemed to be no improvement. In fact, Beth only got worse as time went on. Sleeping in class, refusing to participate, and even skipping out on class a lot of days. Clementine wouldn't have expected that sort of behavior from someone like Elizabeth, who always seemed to be on top of everything.

It made Clementine worry.

Clementine didn't know how to help. At the same time, she didn't want to bother Elizabeth, but she wanted Beth to be okay. There was just no way to do both of those things at once. Still, Clementine tried.

She couldn't always be right though, and even if she tried, it wouldn't take back the fact that Clementine had hurt Elizabeth. She couldn't only hope Beth would move on, and time would heal her like it always does. Forget about her, become like her old self, alone and without the worry of judgment from other people. Because in the end, Clementine was the real problem in Elizabeth's life, and it would only get better the longer she was gone.

It was hard, because they shared not just their third period, and in that time, Clementine could really see the toll it was taking on her. The worst part was that it never seemed to get any better, and when Clementine walked into her third period 2 weeks after the fight, Beth was not there. Clementine sighed and sat down in her seat. In a two-week period, having five absences was extremely concerning for Elizabeth who got perfect attendance, and as it usually did, it only got worse over time, and they were becoming frequent. Clementine chewed on her nail.

Clementine focused on her work since she had no friends in her third period, even if the material made her want to slam her head against a brick wall. But people talk, and a lot. Clementine would listen, and keep her mouth shut to avoid conflict. Clementine was tired, though, tired of people talking about things they know nothing about. That particular day, Clementine had had enough. She had lost her patience, and her worry was beginning to truly overtake her.

Two girls took it upon themselves to start talking about Elizabeth, mostly because she wasn't there to call them out. Of course, the two of them were in Celine's circle of friends, and they had to be gossiping with other students in the class who looked like they couldn't care less. Normally, this wouldn't bother Clementine simply because of the truly stupid shit she would hear from other students during her down days with rumors and bullying. This time though, the story they were trying to spin was just so damn stupid Clementine couldn't keep her mouth shut and listen for another second.

"And I heard," One of the girls, maybe Lily, said, "That the reason that Elizabeth looks so, you know, shitty lately is because she got rejected by someone," Following that comment was an obnoxious giggle much sounding like someone letting the air out of a balloon, "But get this, not only was she rejected, she blamed the other person for rejecting her."

"Wait, so who was the other person?" Clementine heard someone ask.

The girl, Lily, lowered her voice as if Clementine wasn't right behind her, "That girl Clementine. You know, the one with daddy issues?"

Huh, that one was new.

"Anyway," The other girl spoke, "The whole story is Clementine rejected her and everything and Elizabeth tried to make it seem like it was her fault," There was a pause, "Which is weird right? Cuz like aren't they the two ones who had issues with the art contest a month back? Why were they still together?" Clementine could hear the muttering in agreement.