Twenty Five

Clementine was shocked when Ezekiel actually responded to her text.

Clementine had woken up in the morning, having briefly forgotten what she did last night. That was, until she checked her phone, and saw that Ezekiel had responded an hour after she sent the text, at 4 in the morning. Damn Ezekiel, Clementine thought, he still has problems with sleeping. But he acted as though almost nothing happened, texting like he used to, and agreeing instantly to her offer to talk to him over lunch, or something similar. 

Clementine continued through the school day in a daze. Beth had noticed but opted not to say anything other than a comment that she seemed distracted. Clementine didn't bother to deny it. Beth didn't ask about it.

Clementine was almost relieved she didn't. She didn't know how she would begin to explain any of this and she almost didn't want to admit her past history. She was afraid of what Beth might think of her if she knew the truth about the person she used to be. Afraid Beth would think less of her. Maybe one day, Clementine could admit to it, but not right then.

The day continued as usual, and Clementine informed her mother that she would be home later today. Her mother never noticed usually, Clementine was always busy doing something. The worst part was that neither of her siblings bothered to lend her a helping hand when they knew she was struggling. They were close in age to her, and they should have known about everything, and yet they acted as though nothing happened. Not bothering to tell her everything was going to be fine and they had her back. Only awkward forced conversations at the dinner table led to nowhere, and Clementine had to admit they truly didn't care.

It didn't matter anyway, because Clementine hoped to repair a broken bridge today.

All through the day, Clementine was nervous, seeing as it had been a very long time since she had seen Ezekiel last. But she was hoping for something good. She was hopeful, as Ezekiel was friendly enough in his texts back to her. Maybe for a moment, Clementine allowed her heart to hope she could repair their broken relationship.

They agreed to meet at a nearby store after school, and Clementine sat on the curb waiting for him to show up. Not bothering to do anything else but stare at her fingers and pluck at her raw lips. Several times it stung, and perhaps had drawn blood, but she kept pulling and chewing. As time passed, she got more afraid he wouldn't show up.

Until he did show up.

Ezekiel was an outwardly intimidating person, kind of like Beth. Standing pretty tall, with broad shoulders and downturned eyebrows. Along with hazel eyes and light brown hair, he was quite attractive, but not in the way Clementine would be. After all, Ezekiel had been dating another boy for years now.

But as Ezekiel got closer, Clementine noticed his expression was less than pleasant. Not angry, just tired and irritated. Clementine wondered if she had caused this, but his dark circles were deeper than just one night of lost sleep.

Clementine got up and jogged to meet with him, only for him to back away instinctually. Clementine stopped where she was, and the two exchanged looks. From where she was standing, she could see that Ezekiel didn't have patience with her. So Clementine waited for him to start speaking before she began. She wanted to repair things, not break them even more.

"Are you going to say something?" He asked her, and Clementine shifted on her feet. She wasn't sure what to reply with, because she hadn't planned what to say in the first place.

Clementine stood for a few moments, her fingers twitching, lips burning from her picking at them, "Have I made you angry by asking you to meet me?" She replied, and Ezekiel gave her a dumbfounded look, before covering his face with his hand. She could see his shoulders shaking, and she wasn't sure if he was laughing or crying.