Thirty Eight

Beth numbly remembered Anne's face when she asked her.

"What the hell are you talking about?" Anne asked, her face incredulous.

Beth has more than rudely interrupted Anne in the middle of a conversation with her friend, but Beth was in a hurry and tried not to notice the dirty looks pointed at her. Anne agreed rather reluctantly, probably judging from the look on Beth's face, she knew it had to be a problem.

When Beth had led her to a secluded area where they were both somewhat separated from people, Beth finally asked the question. It was supposed to be simple, just an easy question if Anne was the one to spread the rumors or not. Beth really did doubt she was, not that she thought about it. In the end, Beth knew it wouldn't make sense if Anne was really the one who spread the rumor. Anne never seemed to be the mean type, while Celine seemed like she always had something nasty to say.

Beth's theory was confirmed when Anne gave her a look of genuine confusion, "The rumors," Beth said rather plainly, "The one about Clementine being gay and all," She clarified.

Anne shook her head in shocked disbelief, "Okay, first of all," She said, sounding genuinely offended, "Why would I do that? I would gain nothing. Secondly...No! Seriously, why would I do that?" Anne continued to stare at Beth, seemingly like she had something to say, but nothing came out.

"Why did everyone say you did then?" Beth asked, again, trying to keep her demeanor calm so as to not start an argument. It was truly the last thing Beth needed at the moment.

Anne somehow managed to look even more confused, "What do you mean? People said it was me who started it?" Anne's eyes became unfocused as if she was remembering something. Her head snapped up all of a sudden, eyes wide open, "Celine." She said.

Beth nodded her head, "I thought so too."

"But-" Anne cut herself off with confused sputtering, running her hand through her fiery red hair, "Celine wouldn't really do that to Clementine and me, would she?" Anne laughed nervously as if her whole world was crashing down upon her. Beth understood the feeling. Genuine confusion as you realize the person who you thought was your friend is a liar.

Beth gave her a pitied look, which Anne didn't seem to appreciate, as she glared in Beth's direction. Beth averted her eyes. She could hear Anne sigh heavily, muttering to herself. Beth stood and listened silently.

"Anne," Beth began, and Anne looked up, "I really am sorry about all this, but you really had no idea Celine lied and said it was you?" Beth asked. She knew that Celine was definitely the one who started it all, but she had to clarify to make sure. Surely someone doesn't walk around school with a rumor associated with them and not make the connection that people believed they started it, right?

Anne looked at Beth with an odd expression, one of bewilderment and suspicion, "All I knew was what Celine told me. She told me that Clementine was, like, in love with me or something," She paused, "I wasn't told much, but I was told enough to make me not want to speak to her anymore."

Beth scrambled to say something back, but nothing came to mind, and Anne seemed like she had nothing to add. The two stood facing each other, staring for a good long while before Anne said, "I feel so stupid," She sighed, leaning against the pale popcorn walls of the school buildings.

"I know," Beth replied, "Me too," Beth had always tried to keep a sharp mind, especially when it came to observations of other people. This time though, Beth had failed to see Celine as who she was. She did feel stupid and frankly couldn't believe that even after meeting Anne she still believed word of mouth completely.

One thing Beth just couldn't comprehend was why, why would you want to do that to your own friend, "Why do you think she did it?" Beth asked.

"I don't know, Celine has always been kinda weird. Sometimes she just held grudges against people and I guess Clementine was one of them."