Chapter 2

"Just tell us how it went!" Ellis said, barging after Ryleigh into the mansion's parlour. "You can't just storm out of the castle. That's not how it's done!"

Ryleigh turned on her heels, throwing up her arms. "I went, and I didn't kill him. What else can you possibly ask for? Where is Jade? Jade!"

The parlour was largely empty, apart from Julie and Carry, who'd been enjoying a calm cup of tea before Ryleigh and Ellis interrupted the peace.

"How did it go?" Carry asked, jumping up from her seat. Her tea was all but forgotten in her quest to uncover all the juicy details. All she got was a roll of Ryleigh's eyes and a demanding, "Has anyone seen Jade?"

"I saw her outside a while ago," Julie said.

Without another word, Ryleigh turned and disappeared back outside.

"I still have more to say to you!" Ellis called after her.

"Save it for someone who'll listen!"

Austin lumbered into the parlour, looking over his shoulder at Ryleigh stomping away. He'd been trailing after them quietly ever since they left the castle, not in any hurry to be a part of the discussion.

"Your mate really needs to learn some manners," Ellis said, crossing his arms and staring after Ryleigh with a glare.

Austin pulled off his jacket and tossed it over the back of a chair. He slipped a hand into his pocket and gave Ellis a one-shouldered shrug. "This was hard for her. I'm surprised she went at all."

"What happened?" Julie asked, scooting a bit closer to the edge of the sofa. "It didn't go well?"

"No one died," Austin said.

"Alder asked her to speak in private, and she agreed. I thought for sure she was going to rip out his throat." Ellis shook his head. "Your mate is out of control, Austin."

"Do I have to remind you that you were the one who insisted I pluck her out of prison in the first place? I told you she'd be like this."

"Then what happened?" Carry asked. "Did they fight?"

"She wouldn't have been alive right now if that were the case," Ellis said. "I don't know what they talked about. Ryleigh wouldn't say. I briefly spoke to Alder, but he only said he was content for the moment, but would have follow-up questions later, and that if we could, we should do everything in our power to keep her here."

"Good luck with that," Julie said. "She's still planning to leave as soon as she can reject you, isn't she, Austin?"

Austin nodded, his jaw tightening.

"Apparently she just stormed out of Alder's study, slamming the door on him," Ellis said. "Who slams the door on a king? She is insane."

Carry sunk back down onto the sofa with a sigh. "She's so badass."

Ellis's eyes flitted to the ceiling. "For the love of the Goddess, do not take that woman as an example. Her behaviour is outrageous."

"But understandable," Austin said. "Alder slaughtered her pack. I don't think I'd have been able to meet with him face to face without starting a fight. Would you?"

Ellis scowled. "For the sake of my pack, I would have had to. And if she had any idea what's good for her, she would do the same. No one expects her to love him, but for the Goddess' sake, would it kill her to act like a normal person for a change?"

"You do realise we're talking about Ryleigh here," Julie said. "She's isn't exactly known for her manners."

"Well, if she wants to live, she'd better learn to behave," Ellis said. "Or this might get really ugly, really fast."