Chapter 14

"What are you doing here?" Ryleigh asked, watching Jade slip into a seat beside her at the dinner table. Jade's features were set in a grim line, one hand clasped around her pendant, the other clenched into a fist.

"I've been practicing," Jade said. "I'm testing my progress."

Ryleigh's mouth hung slightly open. "Are you sure?"

"Yes. Father always says the only way to learn is by doing it."

"Father says lots of things you should not necessarily listen to. You're not like Father. You don't learn the same way he does, and you don't have to do something you're not ready to do." She glanced around the table. All eyes were on Jade – not just the eyes of the councilmen sitting at their table, but everyone in the entire hall.

Jade's eyes shimmered blue. "I'm ready."

"Good. I'm proud." Her eyes were drawn to the entrance, where Julie had appeared. She could hear Ellis draw in a sharp breath, but that was his only reaction. Not that he could have done anything. Not everyone at the table was aware of what had passed – the council members had no clue, and neither did Carry, let alone the regular pack members who were sitting with them. And it was important it stayed that way. If the pack got wind of this, it would damage Ellis' credibility and authority.

Had Julie been any less the woman she was, she might have leaked the news out of spite, or to get attention, but she hadn't. Ellis might have acted like a total asshole, but she still wouldn't damage his reputation. Ryleigh wondered how Austin could have been attracted to both Julie and her – two more vastly different people had never existed.

Ryleigh guessed Julie might tell Sky, just to help her make sense of it all, but beyond that she would keep her mouth shut and her heart even more so.

"How are the festival preparations going?" Camden asked, once Julie was seated and no one else spoke. Perhaps he noticed the tension, but that probably went for the entire hall.

"We're almost finished," Julie said, smiling. "Just some final details that need to be worked out, but it's going well. Kyle and I have been working tirelessly to make it happen."

Kyle raised his glass at that. "And all within budget, too. It's going to be amazing, Alpha, like always."

"I'm glad to hear it," Ellis said, but he didn't manage to make his tone match his gladness.

"You're going to be there, aren't you, Ry?" Carry asked. "And Jade? You really have to come. It's awesome."

"It would be the ultimate test," Jade said, more to herself than to anyone else.

"As long as you don't knock out any of my guests," Ellis said.

Jade rolled her eyes. "I won't."

"I don't think it's a good idea," Ryleigh said, shooting Jade a look that forbade an argument.

"There'll be lots of wine," Carry said.

Despite herself, Ryleigh chuckled. "Tempting, but no. It's better if we stay away."

"Why?" Jade asked. "I really want to go. We've never been to a festival."

"How many reasons do you want? I can make you a list." Her tone was surprisingly sharp.

"I'm sure Austin would like you to come," Carry said. "He wants to show off his mate. He's never had a chance to do that before."

"Carry," Austin said, shaking his head. He shot a look toward Ryleigh. "I would like you to come, but if you don't want to, I won't make you."