Chapter 54

It was already sometime after dinner when there was a knock on Ryleigh's door. Those days it was mostly Austin who dared come near her, and when he did it usually wasn't a fun conversation. She took a deep breath, then flung the door open. It was, indeed, Austin.

"Hi," Ryleigh said. He said nothing in return and she widened her eyes. "Did you come just to gawk at me or was there a reason? Both is fine with me, but if it's the former, you should let me strike a pose first. I'm more flattering from the right."

He shook his head – slowly, as though her words were coming in delayed.

Ryleigh ran a hand through her hair, moving her weight from one foot to the other. "I don't like that face. It's a We need to talk face."

"Yes. We need to talk."

She blinked. There was something in his eyes that made her nervous. "Can it wait? I was just about to go down to the parlour. Carry wants to hang out more."

"It can't wait. Can I come in?" He glanced at her left hand, which was clutching the door, blocking his entrance. She followed his gaze. A few seconds passed, then she slowly removed her hand and stepped aside. He entered. "Close the door."

The door handle felt cold in her palm. "I have a feeling this isn't going to be the fun type of closed-door conversation." She pushed against the wood, wincing as the door clicked shut. She twirled around and saw Austin had taken the desk chair and placed it in front of the foot of her bed. He gestured to the chair and sat down on the edge of the bed. "Sit."

"Alright. It takes a lot to scare me, but this is doing it." She moved towards the chair. Once there, she placed a hand on the backrest, pulling it a bit farther away from him. Then she sat.

"Did something happen? I don't remember breaking more jaws. I mean, I didn't exactly remember last time, but I'm pretty sure I haven't been drinking. I'd have a headache to prove for it, and I'm actually feeling pretty good today. So that's not it."

"Nothing happened," Austin said. "That is why we need to do this now. If I wait until something goes wrong again, there might be too much anger. I'm hoping that we can talk rationally."

"Bold of you to assume I'm capable of that."

He shook his head, a sigh slipping past his lips. "Please don't try to be funny."

"All due respect, that's not something I try. It's just something I am."

"Ryleigh." His tone edged on annoyance and she frowned.

"Alright. No humour. I'll try." She draped one leg over the other, squishing her hands between her thighs. "So, is this an intervention, then?"

"No. I've tried those." He was looking very composed, and that worried her. He usually fidgeted more. He usually paced. He usually didn't know what to say and when he figured it out, it would come out in spurts and hesitations. Not this time. "I need you to be entirely honest with me."

"Entirely? You mean, the full hundred percent?"

He merely looked at her.

"Right. Alright. So no humour and complete honesty. I hope you realise what you're asking, and from whom. But okay. Tedious and earnest. That's me."

"We need to talk about us."

She uncrossed her legs, digging her bare toes into the carpet. "No judgment, but I don't think that's a great conversation starter. Sure gets the blood pumping, though. What? That wasn't humour. Don't look at me like that. That wasn't even funny. I'm serious. You're giving me a heart attack, looking all stern like that."