Chapter 48

"You must be insane if you think I'm going to walk around with six guards," Jade said.

Aaron cocked a brow. "Careful who you call insane. That is how many I have. You will get used to it."

They were in the garden, underneath their oak tree. Jade was sitting on one of the lowest branches, wiggling her feet. Aaron was standing in front of her, leaning against the tree's trunk.

"All due respect, I know how to protect myself. I don't need any guards, let alone six. It's not happening. I'm drawing the line here. Nah-ah."

Aaron's hand landed on her lower legs, stilling her feet before they managed to accidentally kick him in the face. The humour in his eyes dissipated. "Jade, you do need guards. That's non-negotiable."

"All the guards hate me. Chances are the guards you set me up with are exactly the kind of people I need protection from. You saw what I did to that one guard, didn't you? I knocked him out without even moving a finger. I don't need protecting."

"You can't always be aware of everything. You need people by your side who have your best interest in mind."

"Well, no one here does."

"I do. I have your best interest in mind, and I am telling you that you need guards." His fingers moved up past her knee. She stared down at his hand on her leg, inching dangerously close to her thigh. Her breath quickened and she scowled at him, taking his hand and moving it away.

"Don't distract me. I'll take one guard. How's that?"

"That is a good start. Now add five more and I will be satisfied."

Jade groaned and threw her head back. She lightly jabbed her foot against his chest. "You annoy me, Your Highness."

"Watch it, little one." He ducked underneath the branch she was sitting on, snaking his arms around her from behind and dragging her out of the tree. She squealed and thrashed her legs, but he was far too strong.

"Put me down! Aaron!" She laughed, trying to wiggle out of his grip. He put her down on her feet but didn't release her, pressing her against his chest.

"Not until you agree."

"Never!" She was panting slightly, her heart racing. He lowered his head to the crook of her neck, taking in her scent. His heat enveloped her and her knees buckled. "Two guards. That's my final offer."

"Five," he said, pressing a kiss against her neck, right where her shoulder met her neck. A shudder slithered through her and she gasped.

"One."

"Four."

"None!" Her hands found his and she tried to pry them away from her. He loosened one hand and grabbed both of hers, sandwiching them between his.

"Three."

"One."

He sighed, releasing her and spinning her around. "You drive me crazy."

"Right back at you. Two is as high as I'm willing to go. And I want to pick them myself."

"Jade –"

"No. Those are my terms. Take it or leave it."

He narrowed his eyes at her, as though he was contemplating whether or not she was in earnest. She glared back at him, widening her eyes. He outdid her on many levels – height, strength, energy – but when it came to stubbornness, she took the crown.

"Fine," he said. "Do not smile at me like that. This is not funny. You are way too headstrong for your own good."

She grinned and brought her hands up to his chest, fiddling with the top button of his jacket. "When will I get to choose my burdens, Your Highness?" She loosened the button. He clacked his tongue and buttoned it again.