Chapter 42

When Corinne and Jade reappeared from the tunnel, dishevelled and, in Corinne's case, dripping wet, two guards were standing in the hallway, waiting for their return.

"Your Majesty, the king and crown prince wish to speak to the both of you immediately," one of them said, bowing his head.

Corinne grinned. "Showtime. Take us to them." She hooked her arm through Jade's and followed the guards down the hall. "Watch and learn."

The guards led them to the royal family's private parlour and before long the women came face to face with their mates.

"Darlings," Corinne said, waltzing into the room like she wasn't dripping onto the floor. Her long, pale hair clung to her face. Alder's eyes doubled in size when he saw his mate like that and he groaned, shaking his head. Surely to a man as composed and strict as Alder, Corinne's current state was a tragedy. His bright eyes bore into her with an angry urgency that would have made Jade tremble, but Corinne merely smiled.

Jade was afraid to direct her gaze towards Aaron. If he was looking at her the same way Alder was looking at Corinne, she wasn't sure she would have the courage to open her mouth. She glanced his way and yes, his eyes were unceasingly fixed on her, his features stern. She lifted her chin and forced herself not to look away.

"We were told you want to speak to us? Did we do something wrong?" Corinne batted her lashes. She moved to the table and dropped her hairpins on it. A few of them rolled away and fell to the ground. Jade decided to keep hers firmly tucked in her fist. Corinne might enjoy confrontation, but Jade was nervous.

"When I asked you to talk to Jade, I did not mean you should teach her how to sneak out of the castle," Aaron said.

Corinne's brow's shot up. "Excuse me – are you giving me an attitude?"

"No, I am just saying –"

"No, no, you were giving me an attitude. My own child. Don't forget who dragged you around for nine months – and you weren't exactly a lightweight either, let me tell you that much."

"You could have gotten her killed," Aaron said.

Jade wasn't sure how she felt about them discussing her like she wasn't even there, and incapable to take care of herself on top of that.

Corinne shot Alder a glance. "Are you going to let your son talk to me like that?"

"He is right. You know you are not to leave the premises without your guards and without permission."

"O, that's right. Because I'm your possession. Tell me – should I walk myself down to the prison or will you have someone escort me there?"

Alder sighed, raising his eyes to the ceiling as though he was begging the Goddess for mercy. "Not this again."

"Next time I wish to breathe, should I consult you first and risk choking?"

"Corinne, stop. You cannot go out by yourself, and I fail to understand why I keep having to remind you of that. You need your guards to accompany you."

"Yeah? Very well. Next time I go swim naked in the river, I'll take my guards with me. Especially Jeffrey. He's particularly attractive. You don't have time for me anyway. Maybe he will."

Alder shot forward and gripped Corinne's wrist, his eyes flashing purple. "Shut your mouth."

Jade, who was standing right beside Corinne, felt the urge to shrink away, but she refrained. Instead, her eyes found Aaron again. He was watching his parents, but moved his gaze towards her as though he sensed her looking at him. For a moment, he looked like he might want to say something, but then his attention was directed back towards Corinne.