Chapter 20

When Ryleigh entered the parlour, ushered in by Austin, she stood eye to eye with a very dishevelled prince Aaron. He was surrounded by his six guards and dressed in what she guessed to be Ellis' clothes. His expensive jacket was draped over a chair, dusty and creased. Aaron didn't look much better. When he arrived at the festival, he'd been the most composed, stuck-up person Ryleigh had ever laid eyes on – apart from King Alder, perhaps – but now he was a mess. His hair was sticking out in every direction and coated with sand, and his dark brows were drawn down over his strong nose in a pained scowl.

"What's going on?" Ryleigh asked, progressing into the room. Austin stepped in behind her and closed the door.

"Where is Jade?" Ellis asked.

Ryleigh's eyes oscillated between Ellis and Aaron. "Why? Are we going to get arrested? Because you promised –"

"No. No one is getting arrested. Though Jade certainly would deserve it."

"That so?" Ryleigh pulled up her shoulders, then let them drop. "I wouldn't know what for." She glanced at the prince. "Rough night? All due respect, you look a bit perturbed."

"I need to speak with your sister," he said. His tone was one of authority, yet his voice was unsteady.

"Why?"

"Ryleigh, quit playing," Ellis said. "You know what's going on. You've probably been in contact with her all evening. She is Aaron's mate and when he went after her, she sent hundreds of birds to attack him."

Ryleigh creased her brow, staring at Ellis. Then she laughed, shaking her head. "Are you serious? Jade, the prince's mate? That's crazy. No way."

"Do not make light of this situation," Aaron said, taking a step forward. Ellis grabbed his arm and pulled him back, which earned him a vicious glare.

She pursed her lips. "Ah, short of temper, are we? I promise you, Your Highness, Jade is not your mate."

"She is," Ellis said. "She ran when he saw her, and she had him attacked. If she weren't his mate, there wouldn't have been a need to do any of that."

"Apart from the tiny, little fact that he's the crown prince and his father murdered our family. She grew afraid. This is all a big misunderstanding. She's not his mate."

"Ryleigh," Austin said, softly. "Come on. We know. Denying it is pointless." He stepped into view from behind her, giving her one of his Be reasonable looks.

"No. This is ridiculous. Jade's not the prince's mate. Can you imagine?" She chuckled and shook her head. "Funniest thing I've ever heard."

"I know she is my mate," Aaron said. "I have been near her, and there is no doubt in my mind. Link her and tell her to come. That is an order."

"O, giving orders now. I see. Well, Your Highness, I do not acknowledge your father as my king, which means I do not acknowledge you as my prince. I will not obey your commands."

Two of his guards moved in her direction, but he raised a hand and they stopped.

"You are playing a dangerous game," he said.

"Those are the only ones worthwhile playing."

"If you are so certain Jade is not Aaron's mate, then ask her to come and prove it," Ellis said.

"No."

"Why not? Because you know it's true?"

She folded her arms across her chest. "No. It's because this man shares blood with the man who massacred our pack. I'm not about to let my little sister walk into a trap. Protecting her has always been and will always be my priority."