Chapter 7

"You're going to abduct Paige?" Ellis said, slowly, as if he wasn't sure he'd heard it right. Neither was Austin. It was madness, surely, and she couldn't be serious. He stared at Jade, who calmly met his gaze. She looked nothing like Ryleigh, but right then, in her eyes, there was the same fire he always found when he looked at Ryleigh.

"What else can be done?" she asked. "Night is falling, which should give me the opportunity I need. I'm going to head to town, hire a teleporter and get Paige, and then I'll be back."

"Won't your father notice?" Julie asked.

"Of course."

Up until that point, Austin had considered Jade the sane one, but he started to think she might be as raving mad as Ryleigh. She almost looked like she was enjoying the challenge ahead.

"There's no scenario in which he won't know we brought Paige here," Jade said. "Maybe if Ryleigh had been awake to erase her memories afterwards, but even then – our father is clever enough to figure it out. The trick is to make sure he doesn't notice until after the fact."

"But won't he just come to get the both of you, then?" Ellis asked.

"No. Well, maybe. Probably. Possibly. It's hard to predict his actions. He might be furious, or he might appreciate my ingenuity. Maybe both. We'll just have to wait and see. It's our best option. If he does come here, and if I'm not there to talk him down, or otherwise unable, it's best to just give him what he wants." Her head snapped to Ellis. "If I were you, I wouldn't involve Alder in this."

"If he's coming here, we need to arrest him," Ellis said.

"For what crime? Existing?"

"Treason."

"He hasn't committed treason. All you have to go on is Ryleigh's account, and I think we've established she's a pathological liar. We'll deny everything. Besides, you won't be able to arrest him. If you try to lay a hand on him, people will get hurt. And 'people' won't be him. Trust me."

"Are you sure about this?" Austin asked. "It sounds really risky."

"It is, and I still think it would be much better to take her home. But I know she doesn't want to go back, and quite frankly neither do I. It's a definite risk, but I wouldn't be a Shadow Walker if I wasn't willing to take it. The real question is: are you?"

Austin glanced down at Ryleigh. Every minute, her skin turned more silverish, and she was burning hot to the touch. Beads of sweat trickled down her temples. "I'm sure if you are."

"Alpha?" Jade turned her piercing eyes on him. "It's your pack; your people. You're putting them at risk and trust me, we do not deserve that kind of hospitality. On the other hand, we're the only one standing between our father and the cause. As long as we're here, his vengeance is on hold, which means it's in your best interest – and that of Alder's – to keep us here. I'm not saying we'll help you, but as long as we're here, you can try to convince us."

Austin watched Ellis, curious what he would answer. He stood with his brows drawn together over his nose, thinking. Rationally, Ellis had to kick Ryleigh and Jade out. They were too high-risk. But then he had been raving about fate for over a month, and he could hardly give up now. And Austin knew Ellis was ambitious enough to try to force the sisters on his side.

"I need an answer," Jade said. "If I don't go now, I don't have to bother."

"Go," Ellis said.

Jade nodded and turned to Ridge. "Try to keep her alive until I'm back." Another fleeting glance at her sister, and then she turned and made for the door.