Chapter 33

When Jade returned to Midnight Moon, she was drained – emotionally, physically, and magically. She wasn't sure she had the energy required to face anyone, especially if they were going to ask her how it went. Maybe she could sneak inside without meeting anyone. Little chance, since all the pack members she passed stared at her as though she was the strangest thing they'd ever seen. They were undoubtedly linking all their friends about her less than victorious return.

The only person she wanted to see, was Ryleigh. But she wanted the version of Ryleigh that was going to tell her It will all be fine rather than I told you so.

It hadn't even gone that badly. She hadn't been there long enough to make too much of a mess. After shaking hands with Alder, she'd sat down with them. Corinne had made a heroic attempt to strike up small-talk, but Jade could hardly get a word past her lips. All she could think about was her mother's murderer sitting not three feet away, being perfectly amiable.

They'd drunk tea, and with every sip Jade was afraid it was poisoned. Not that it would've made much sense. Alder had no reason to be quiet about killing her. Especially since there was still a law against her very existence.

She'd been there maybe half an hour at most, listening to Corinne tiptoe around sensitive topics, even though all topics were sensitive. Her entire life revolved around the Shadow Walkers, and so everything Corinne asked related to what she had lost. When even Corinne ran out of material, Aaron had suggested to call it a day, which had been both a relief and point of embarrassment to her. Was he suggesting her to go because he sensed she had nothing left in her, or because he was ashamed of her?

They'd hardly said a word while he escorted her back to her teleporter. In his defence, he had tried to make conversation, but she had nothing to say to him. If she'd attempted to talk, she would've burst into tears.

Walking towards the mansion, she felt like an idiot. The lavish dress she was wearing was a testament to her failure. The sheer fact her wardrobe was prettier than her was an indication that she didn't belong and never would.

She had kicked off her shoes the moment she returned to Midnight Moon and was holding them in her hand, struggling not to trip over the hemline of her dress. Did he want them back? If not, she had half a mind to burn them. What about the dress? Would he be pissed if she tore it to pieces? Probably. It must have cost a fortune.

She started plucking hair pins from her skull with her free hand. What a disaster. She walked up the stairs, nearly falling because of all the things she was trying to achieve at the same time. Some pins fell from her grip and rolled down the stairs. Good riddance. She made it to her room and slammed the door shut.

Her poor shoes faced the brunt of her anger, soaring through the room and ending up in a remote corner. In a frenzy, she started pulling at the strings keeping her bodice together. She couldn't get them loose. Five more seconds and she was going to rip it apart, Aaron be damned.

The door creaked open and Ryleigh slipped inside.

"Go away," Jade said, stomping over to the mirror in hopes of being able to figure out how to release herself. "I'm not in need of any I-told-you-so's."

"Good, because I'm fresh out." Ryleigh positioned herself behind Jade and started loosening the strings without a word. She helped Jade step out of the dress and rummaged her hands through Jade's hair, recovering pins left and right.

"You sure did torture yourself for that man." She dropped the pins to the ground, kicking them aside. "There. You've never looked prettier."

She was pretty much naked, her hair sticking out in every direction. She looked wild.