Chapter 49

Double update! Make sure you've read chapter 48 first. They belong together, so this chapter won't make much sense otherwise :) Happy reading!

Jade moved to the next row. About halfway through it, her brows furrowed. As much as she tried to focus on the guard in front of her, there was one mind screaming over all the others.

"Who is chanting in their head?" she asked, loudly. It was a constant repetition of Pick me. Pick me. Pick me. It remained silent among the ranks. People glanced around them. "Come on. Don't be shy. Someone is very eager to be picked. Who is it?"

A few rows further, a hand shot up into the air. "It's me, Ma'am."

Jade swallowed a chuckle and moved towards the waving hand. It belonged, she realised, to a very young man. A boy, really. She stopped in front of him. He was bouncing on his feet, his features marred in expectation. He really, really wanted to be picked. It was a shame he looked like a twelve-year-old who had stolen a uniform. She shot a glance at Aaron, who shook his head in warning. She smiled and turned back.

"How old are you?"

"Eighteen, Ma'am, but, you know, being young just means I still have a lot of energy, and I'm strong as an ox."

She poked her tongue in her cheek, doing her best not to laugh. He was endearing. She knew Aaron would murder her for picking all the misfits, but she just couldn't help herself. They were the only ones that didn't hate her. And he did look like he would be able to protect her. He was tall – nearly as tall as Aaron – and though he was lean, she could tell he was strong.

"How long have you been a guard?"

"Since last month, Ma'am. But that's just because you can't become a guard if you're underaged. But I was ready years ago. I can protect you. I'm really good with my knives, and I'm great with my claws. I don't really like spears, but I can hold my own with that one too. And I'm fast, as well, Ma'am. And I will give my life for you. I can do this, really."

"Boy, calm down." Aaron had caught up with Jade. "How old did you say you were?"

The boy shot up a bit straighter, standing so stiffly that if Jade had nudged his shoulder, he would have toppled over. "Eighteen, Your Highness."

"You look fourteen."

"Leave him alone. Don't mind the prince. He's all bark." She cocked her head. "I'm inclined to give you a chance."

"Jade –" Aaron said, but she cut him off.

"You said I could pick them. Did you lie?"

He sighed deeply. "I knew I was going to regret this."

The boy was screaming for joy in his head and Jade brought a hand to her forehead, flinching. "Temper your enthusiasm, please. Your mind is very loud. If you're going to be around me, you will need to learn to keep yourself in check."

"I will, Ma'am. I promise!"

Jade grinned. "What is your name?"

"It's Daniel, Ma'am. But most people call me Danny."

"Well, then, Danny. I pick you. You better not disappoint me, or Prince Aaron will never stop rubbing it in my face."

"I won't disappoint you, Ma'am! I will be the best guard you've ever had!"

"You will be the first guard she's ever had, so that is hardly an achievement," Aaron said. "I will give you a week. If I do not like you, I will demote you and your cocky attitude. Do you understand?"

Danny grew a little paler, but nodded. "I understand, Your Highness. I will not disappoint."

"We will see. Go to the front and wait there."