Chapter 13

Everyone grew awfully silent after Jade had spilled Ellis' secret. Ryleigh closed her eyes, shaking her head. She'd really hoped Jade wouldn't go through with it, if only because she knew she'd regret it. A part of her wanted to butt in and erase everyone's memories before it got a chance to stick. This wasn't their secret to share, and she wouldn't be surprised if Ellis kicked them out.

Conall whistled through his teeth. "I didn't see that one coming."

"Is it true?" Austin asked. "You're in love with Julie?"

A glance in his direction told Ryleigh that Austin was trembling in rage. It was a good thing she was standing between him and Ellis. If he'd had a clear line towards him, he might have punched Ellis, which in turn would have earned him an ass-whooping that very well might have altered his beautiful physique. "You didn't do it because of fate, but because you wanted us to break up? Is that really true?"

Ellis opened his mouth, then closed it. His eyes found Julie, who was staring at him with lips parted in shock, her face a ghostly white.

"Julie, I can explain," Ellis said, his voice hardly a whisper. Gone was his alpha authority. He looked like he might cry.

Julie shook her head, taking a step back, raising her hand as if to shield herself. "Is it true?"

He didn't have to admit it. The look of sheer terror on his face said enough.

"Everything you've done – all those conversations we've had. Making me ask Austin to get Ryleigh here. Making me go to the Royal Wolves..."

"You made her do all that?" Austin tried pushing past Ryleigh, but she placed a hand against his chest and forced him back.

"Don't do anything rash," she said. "He's still your alpha."

"You broke us up because you wanted her for yourself?" Austin struggled against her hold, and it was only because Conall moved in to restrain him that he didn't attack Ellis. "You asshole!"

"It wasn't like that," Ellis said. "I did it because fate should not be denied. And yes, I did think you and Julie were horrible together, and yes, I do have feelings for her, but that is not why I did it."

A slight gasp escaped Julie and she took another step back, then another, and then she turned on her heels and ran out the front door.

Ellis made a move to go after her, but changed his mind, shaking his head. He glared at Jade, but the look lacked conviction. His shoulders slumped. Without another word, he walked away.

Conall released Austin. Austin leant against the railing of the stairs, breathing heavily. Ryleigh sensed the conflict occupying his mind: to go after his brother and bash his head in, or to go after his ex-lover, or to do nothing.

"Did you know?" he asked, settling his eyes on Ryleigh.

Ryleigh's eyes grew a little wider at the confrontation and she shot a look around her to buy herself some time. She knew only the truth would do. "Yes."

"How long have you known?"

She shuffled from one foot to the other, a bit uncomfortable under his glare. "From pretty much the first time I laid eyes on him. Memories aren't factual accounts of reality. They're one person's version of events. It's how they perceived something, which means every memory is tinged with emotion. When I see someone's memories, I don't just see what they think happened, but also how it made them feel. In Ellis' case, whenever he remembered Julie, I could sense that he loved her."

"And you never thought to tell me?"

"It wasn't my secret to tell."

"Still. If I had known about this –"