Chapter 11

Austin knew Ryleigh had a chosen mate, but she had neglected to tell him he was part of her pack. Or that she liked him. Or that he was strong, tall and attractive.

"Father is waiting outside for you, Park," Ryleigh said, entering the mansion's parlour. Austin watched Ryleigh's face. Her expression wasn't guarded, the way it was with most people. It was open, a hint of a smile toying with her mouth.

Parker was standing by the window, gazing outside. He turned at the sound of her voice, his eyes flitting up and down her body. Austin linked his hands behind his back, digging his nails into his palms to keep himself from planting his fist in Parker's handsome face.

"I take it you're not coming with us," Parker said.

She shrugged one shoulder and walked over to him, halting way too close. "Not yet."

Parker's eyes shot towards Austin, then back to her. "Because of him? Really?"

Ellis' hand landed on Austin's arm, and it might have been the only thing keeping Austin from tearing Parker to shreds. Or to try, at least.

"Not only for him, but yes," Ryleigh said. "He's important to me."

Austin had never heard her acknowledge her regard for him so openly. It took the edge off his anger.

"I remember a time you had better taste. You're making a mistake."

"That seems to be the popular opinion. You know me. I love making mistakes."

"I'll say." He smiled. It wasn't a smile of joy, rather one indicative of the bond they shared. Not just one of a friendship that had lasted a lifetime, but one of kin. His eyes found Jade, who was sitting motionless on the sofa, watching Ryleigh so intensely she forgot to blink. "What about you? You coming home?"

Jade shook her head. "If Ryleigh stays here, I'm home already."

He nodded. "Thought as much. I won't say I'm not disappointed. It's not the same without the two of you. Corbin's been in a sour mood, and I'm bored out of my wits."

Ryleigh chuckled. "You know I only tend to make his moods worse. Come. I'll walk you out."

"I'll come with," Ellis said. "I need to make sure your father wakes up my warriors."

She nodded and led Parker out of the room. Austin didn't like the way she almost smiled when she looked at him.

"Don't worry about Parker," Jade said, drawing Austin's attention towards her. "He knows where he stands."

It didn't bring much comfort. Knowing where he stood meant that he'd prefer to stand somewhere else.

Ryleigh returned after a few minutes. Had she needed that long to say goodbye to Parker? She crossed the room, halting in front of Jade. "You don't have to stay. I know you have my back, but if you want to go home, I get it."

"I want to stay here." She glanced at Ellis, who had come in after Ryleigh. "That is, if you'll let me."

"Of course," he said. "As long as you want. Though I could do without your father's sporadic visits."

"There won't be any for now," Ryleigh said. "Father and I have come to an agreement."

"What agreement would that be?" Ellis asked. "After everything you have told me about him, I didn't think he'd give in so easily."

"He didn't." She shot a look towards Jade, almost as if to ask for help explaining the intricate character that was their father. "He knows I won't be of any use to him as long as I disagree with his leadership. He doesn't like it, and he thinks I'm committing treason."