Chapter 17

Hundreds of wolves had gathered at Midnight Moon. There were representatives from every part of Andior, and from almost every pack, apart from those that were at odds with the established order.

When twilight swept in, the festival started. It was a full moon – the festival was always on a full moon – and the sky was full of stars. That natural light would have sufficed, but dozens of torches had been placed around the centre to illuminate the festivities further. On one side of the centre, fires were burning, with large animals slowly turning on a spit above them.

Prince Aaron showed up fashionably late. Perhaps he liked to make an entrance, or perhaps his status meant he'd make an entrance no matter when or how he showed up.

"There he is," Ryleigh said, nodding in his direction. Jade was standing beside her, shaking like a leaf. A gasp escaped her when her eyes latched onto the prince, and Ryleigh shot her a look. "Remember to breathe."

Ryleigh let her eyes wander across the clearing. Several tables were set up with wine and food beside the fires. Everywhere she looked, people were talking and laughing, standing huddled together in little groups. A small orchestra was sitting off the side, playing all kinds of instruments. The music rising up from them was cheerful and fast, and people were dancing. It was a mesmerising spectacle, and yet Ryleigh was glad she didn't have to participate in the joyful occasion.

Aaron arrived with a grand total of six guards. They stationed themselves at even intervals around the clearing, watching Aaron's every move. Ellis excused himself from whomever he was talking to and walked over to Aaron with a big grin plastered onto his face. Aaron amiably clasped a hand on Ellis' shoulder, embracing him the way men do. They laughed, speaking some words that were lost amidst the abundance of noise.

"Goddess, that laugh," Jade said.

"Keep it together." Ryleigh slipped an arm around Jade's, keeping her steady – just in case. They were hiding in the shadows of the dining hall. From there, they could see everything, and no one could see them.

"Do you think he's handsome?" Jade asked.

Ryleigh chuckled. "Are you crazy? He's a work of art. Tall, strong, an alpha – and eyes to die for. I might have been pretty out of it when I met him, but I remember his eyes. You're lucky. Well, apart from the fact that he's a prince, of course."

"You better don't let Austin hear you talk like that."

"He's cute when he's jealous." She shook her head. "Mate bond or not, I'll admit Austin isn't nearly as drop-dead gorgeous as Prince Aaron. And I don't care. He's flawless all the same."

Jade snorted a laugh. "Look at you being all romantic."

Ryleigh nudged her elbow into Jade's side. "Watch your mouth. I'm no romantic." Her eyes searched the crowd, until she spotted Austin. He was standing beside Julie, handing her a cup of wine and doing his best to get a smile out of her, by the looks of it. She wasn't her usual cheerful self, and though that was understandable, she usually did a better job of pretending to be happy.

Jade ducked, backing up deeper into the shadows, jerking Ryleigh with her. "He looked this way. Do you think he saw me?"

"Relax." Ryleigh glimpsed at the prince. He was shaking hands with all kinds of middle-aged, boring men. "If he'd seen you, you'd know."

"Right. Right." She wiped her clammy hands on her dress. "Can you do me a favour?"

"Depends on what it is."

"Can you go near Aaron and tell me what he smells like?"

Ryleigh laughed, stifling the sound by pressing her hand against her mouth. "Can I what?"