Chapter 40

Jade had breakfast with Aaron. Her maids had hoisted her into another dress – a deep green one, with long, see-through sleeves and a bodice that accentuated a chest she didn't know she had. She wasn't sure how to have breakfast if her dress didn't allow space to eat. Perhaps it was paramount that royal females retained their figures, and this was the way to force them to adhere to that.

Aaron was already in the parlour, which she found both funny and disconcerting. If it took her longer to get ready in the morning than him, she had officially crossed into the category of extravagance. He rose from his seat when she entered and approached her. Jade's gaze flitted around the room. They were the only ones there. No parents, no guards, no maids. Her shoulders relaxed.

"Good morning, little one," he said. His hands snaked around her waist and he kissed her. The throbbing in her head subdued and she slipped her arms around him, burying her face in his chest. She was wary of having him suffocate her magic, but it couldn't hurt for two minutes.

"Are you alright?"

She nodded against his chest, the fabric of his jacket tickling her cheek. He was wearing a deep blue one with lighter-tinted patterns embroidered on it. She might have made fun of his tendency to dress like a rainbow, weren't it that she looked like a peacock had thrown up all over her.

His hand moved to her head, his fingers intertwining with her hair. She wanted him to hold her forever and not ask any questions, but that was unlikely to happen. It was risky anyway. She hadn't slept a second that night and if she kept standing there for much longer, she'd fall asleep on the spot.

His heart drummed gently into her ear and she focused on the rate of the beats. If every night was going to be like that one, she wasn't sure how long she could keep it up. How could she stay awake all through the night and still be vigilant during the day?

"Tell me what is going on, love," he said, his deep voice reverberating through his chest. She could listen to his voice all day.

She withdrew, straightening her back and flashing him a smile. "Nothing."

He clacked his tongue. "Did no one tell you it is a crime to lie to a prince?" He smirked and played with a lock of her hair.

"I'm not lying. I just didn't sleep great, that's all." Her gaze moved to the table, her stomach rumbling. Dress or not, she was going to eat.

"Was the room not to your liking? We can get you anything you want."

'Anything' seemed exaggerated, but then she reminded herself that they were the richest werewolves alive. "No, no. The room is lovely."

"Then what is it?"

He was so eager to see her happy, and she didn't want to burst his bubble. She sighed. "This is all very new to me. I never thought I'd be here, you know. I mean, maybe the royal prison, but not in the castle. And there's so many people here – so many minds. I've gotten better at weeding them out, but I still hear most of them, and they aren't very nice." She shook her head. "I will get used to it, I'm sure." She glanced longingly at the table again.

"Very well. Come. Sit." He led her to the table and drew a chair back for her. She sat, her eyes running over all the different kinds of bread, meats, fruits.

"So much food."

He chuckled and sat down opposite her. "Perk of being a royal. You will never go hungry."

His eyes were on her throughout the meal, and she knew he was going to revisit the topic. She was glad he gave her a chance to eat first. She wiggled on her chair, trying to find a position in which her corset allowed her to fill her stomach without cutting off circulation.