Chapter 38

Aaron had been absolutely ecstatic when Jade told him she'd move into the castle, and his grin almost made her forget her misgivings about the whole thing. Almost.

He visited her sometime after noon and offered to help her get her stuff together. He was eager to whisk her away as soon as possible. She wondered if he'd learned from last time and suspected she might run if he gave her too much time to reconsider. In any case, he was spared the effort, because Jade had come to Midnight Moon with absolutely nothing. The only thing she had brought with her was her silver necklace, which she secretly slipped into the bodice of the dress he had brought for her. She accidentally scorched her breast with it, but no pain, no gain. Who knew when she might need it.

Besides the dress, Aaron had also brought a maid to help stuff her in it. It was a different woman than the previous times, and Aaron told her this one was going to be her personal maid.

"What's your name?" Jade asked, once Aaron had left them together in her bedroom to get ready.

"Isabelle, Ma'am." The girl was flitting about, readjusting the fabric so it fell perfectly.

"How old are you?"

"I am nineteen, Ma'am." She stepped behind Jade and started tightening the bodice. "But I assure you I have been very well trained, and I will not disappoint you."

"O, I wasn't worried about that."

"The crown prince felt you might be more comfortable with someone closer to your own age," Isabelle said.

Jade frowned. Technically, nineteen was indeed close to her own age, but it made her wonder if Aaron thought she looked around that age, rather than her actual, fully adult twenty-three.

"Did I offend, Ma'am?"

"What? O, no. Not at all. I was just thinking."

Isabelle nodded, drawing another string tight. Jade pressed her hands against her stomach, clenching her teeth. Would she have to suffer this every day for the rest of her life?

"It must be quite the change for you," Isabelle said.

Jade regarded her, not sure if the comment had been meant innocuous. A quick survey of the girl's mind told her she had meant nothing with it. In fact, the only thing Isabelle felt about Jade being a Shadow Walker, was curiosity.

"Yes. I'm half convinced this is the worst decision I have ever made. Ooph – not so tight!"

"Apologies, Ma'am." Isabelle loosened the strings just enough to stop crushing her ribs, but not enough to be comfortable. "If I may, Ma'am, it is a real honour to have been selected to serve you. I wasn't expecting to be chosen. People always say I'm too bold. But that's why the prince chose me. He thought you might appreciate my forwardness."

Jade swallowed a chuckle. "Did he, now? He's right. And please stop calling me Ma'am. Jade will do. At least when we're alone."

Isabelle smiled and nodded, stepping back into her view. "Very well. I will just quickly do your hair and then you'll be all done to meet your prince again." With nimble fingers, she started working pins into Jade's hair. When she was done, Jade looked at herself in the mirror and wondered how long it was going to take for her to get used to looking like that, and whether that would be a good thing.

Aaron certainly seemed to think it was a good thing. Jade could be mistaken but she was rather sure he blushed when she came down the stairs.

"You look stunning," he said. She appreciated the words, but wished he would say them regardless of her outfit. "Do you have everything you need?"