Chapter 50

Ryleigh heard Austin's annoyed rapping against the door and groaned, rolling onto her back.

"What?" she said, just loudly enough for him to be able to hear on the other side of the door.

He entered the room, the look on his face warning enough.

Ryleigh sat up in bed, tilting her head. What had she done? Had her life depended on it – and judging by Austin's murderous glare, it might – she could not have guessed.

"Is it true you started a fight with Kendrick for no reason and broke his jaw?" Austin asked, crossing his arms over his chest. He looked so severe right then, so much like the beta he was, that for a second she didn't respond. He was always more a meek little lamb than a wolf, but sometimes he managed to surprise her. This was one of those times.

"Who?" she asked. She pushed the covers off and drew her legs under her. She really did try to remember, but if she knew a Kendrick, her mind was doing a good job burying the memory.

"Don't play your games with me." His eyes were spitting fire and she blinked.

"I'm not playing. I genuinely have no idea who Kendrick is." Her eyes flitted down. Her right hand was aching – healed but with splatches of blood still coating it. If she had broken someone's jaw, that sure would explain that mystery.

"You're not kidding, are you?" He lowered his arms, staring at her.

She shook her head, slowly. He looked so strict that lying wouldn't even have occurred to her.

"Well, maybe you were too drunk to remember."

That would sure explain her pounding headache.

"I don't know. Maybe. I don't remember drinking. Come to think of it, I don't really remember much of last night, so you're probably right." She rubbed her eyes.

"You realise it's already two in the afternoon, don't you?"

She looked at the window. The curtains were still closed, but bright daylight snuck through the gap between the fabric and the window-sill. "No, I did not realise that. It's not like I have anything to do. I'm bored out of my wits, so I might as well sleep when my body lets me." She didn't remember having any nightmares and she wondered how much she'd drunk. She wished she'd made a note of it, so she could do it again. Clearly, she'd finally found the sweet spot. Apart from the fact she was breaking people's bones, of course.

"Kendrick says you came up behind him and just started fighting him."

Ryleigh looked at him, her eyebrows raised and her shoulders hunched up in denial. "I still don't remember who he is." She paused. "I guess it might be true. It wouldn't be the first time. I broke his jaw? Is he okay?"

"Yes, he's okay, but you're not. What is going on with you, Ryleigh? This has to stop."

"I guess I've just been feeling somewhat triggered lately."

Austin shook his head. He turned half around, like he just couldn't be bothered to deal with her anymore, then turned back. "I really thought that with Jade being Aaron's mate..." He stopped, shaking his head again.

"What? What did you think?" She slipped out of bed. Her feet weren't pleased she had decided to use them, but they grudgingly agreed to hold her up. "That I would be as foolishly forgiving as she is?"

"No. I guess not. But I thought that maybe you would finally give up your crazy thirst for bloodshed and revenge. I thought maybe you would move on."

"Move on? From the murder of my entire pack? I'm sorry, I didn't know my grief is supposed to be temporary."