19. Right?

It's silent in the car

Dane doesn't say anything, and neither does Jack. But when Jack seems to be enjoying the awkward air, Dane looks almost furious. He grips his steering wheel harshly, and yells at the other people in the traffic.

I slump in my seat and hide for the world outside. When Dane parks, I run out of the car and sprint to my locker. I don't like his mood. I know it's his temper, but I still have a feeling it's because of what I've said at the breakfast table.

Moving to my locker, I notice a lot of people pointing at something right behind me. I frown, but quicken my pace.

"Willow! Fucking hell, just wait," Dane grumbles behind me, causing me to stop immediately. He crashes into my back, and groans. "Watch where you go," he snaps and I look down. "Sorry."

He sighs, pinching the bridge of his nose. We arrived at my locker, and I rumble in it so I don't have to look at him. "No, I'm sorry. I'm sorry for my temper and how I snapped to you. You didn't deserve that," he sighs.

I look up with wide eyes. Dane never apologizes!

"It's... it's fine," I mutter, still a bit shocked. Is this the effect I have on him? The same he effects me? He lets me crave him, lets me want to do things I can't even express in words. Do I do the same to him?

He gives me a small smile. Another such thing, I make him smile. He never smiles, but when we're talking, he always smiles at me. Maybe I do have some effect on him...

I smile back and his smile grows. He pushes himself off to my locker and gestures me to follow him. "The bell didn't ring," I say and he cocks an eyebrow. "Oh, I know," he shrugs and places his hand on my back when we walk away.

I feel the heat of his hand on my back and hide my cheeks in my sweater, so he doesn't see I'm blushing. If he would, I'll die...

He smirks and I blush even more. He opens the door to the janitors closet and confused, I get in. I sit down on the floor, where we sat the last time, but he shakes his head. Now I'm super confused.

"What?" I giggle nervously. I'm alone with Dane in a room, and all I can think about is his lips and how they would feel against mine.

His eyes darken a little as he takes a step closer to me. I'm standing again and take a step back, unsure what's he doing. He takes another step closer and my back hits the wall. But he doesn't stop walking towards me, not until he's just a few inches away from my face.

"Are you scared, Willow?" he asks softly, and I shake my head, gazing down. I I would look at his face, especially at his lips, I wouldn't be able to control myself and would do stupid things. Kiss him, par example.

He cocks an eyebrow. "Then why aren't you looking at me? Why aren't you scared when you're alone in a room with the biggest bad boy from the school? Why aren't you scared when you see me, and pull yourself closer to me? Why don't you go back to hating me?"

He blurts it all out in once, and I look up. His voice was mad, but his eyes show sadness. I cup his face in my hands. "Because I trust you."

His eyes go wide and he takes a step back, as if I just hit him. There's more distance between us, and I don't like it. "You trust me enough to not believe the rumors? That I'm not some druggie? That I didn't kill my parents? Because you didn't see them the whole week you were with me, right?" 

I shrug. "Jack once told me you were a lonely kid. That you're parents had to work a lot and you're always alone," I whisper and his shoulders slump. His gaze settles on the door and he glares at it. "Of course he did."

"And you're not a druggie. You know that as much as I do, so why do you think I would believe the rumors. Do you want me to believe that? Is that what you want? That I believe the rumors and stay away from you?"

The words hurt me, and I don't want him to say his thoughts. What if this is exact what he wants and I just... held onto him?

But his head snaps up and he takes that final step back, being almost in my face again. He narrows his eyes. "Of course I don't want that, you know that. I just don't understand. You believed them a month ago, why not anymore?" 

His voice is shaky, as if he's nervous for something. I too am nervous. Don't look at his lips, don't look at his lips...

I focus on his eyes, but that doesn't really help. His beautiful eyes stare down at me, but then they shift a little lower. Huh?

He looks back in my eyes and seem to doubt something. He bends down to whisper in my ear," Just friends, huh? We're not friends, Willow, never been. Let me prove it to you. You believe we're friends, and that nothing can change that, right?"

I nod hesitantly. What is he planning? Oh, I know we're not just friends, but if I tell him what I feel and think, he'll just laugh at me.

"Right. Then tell me after this if you still believe that."

And then his lips meet mine.