41. Love

We have rugby practice after school

Me, Jack and Dane. Sigh.

I dress up and walk onto the field as I hear Dane talking to Mom. "Coach, please. It won't take long," he begs. Mom sees me and smiles at me, causing Dane to turn around. His eyes widen and he looks away. I sigh, roll my eyes and start running laps.

He's been avoiding eye contact with me all week. After that one night, he didn't came back. But I also didn't have nightmares, so maybe he did? I don't know, but it's really becoming a pain in the ass. He hasn't talked to me, always sits alone at a table and when I ask him to join, he shakes his head and looks at the wall.

And he cries all the time. I mean, for real. Every time I see him, he just broke down or crying. One time, he was crying in the cafetaria, and everyone was staring at him. He noticed and just shrugged, gazing at the wall again and sobbing. The boys laughed at it, but I didn't think it was funny. Noah and Jack neither, though.

I stop running and pant a little. I drink from my water bottle, I'm so thirsty. But I spit it back out when I hear the intro of 'True love' from P!nk through the boxes on the field. Everyone stops in their movements and look at the stand, so do I.

Mom comes to stand next to me and grins at me. "Wait, what is this?" I ask, completely confused. I look up and see Dane sitting on the stand with a microphone in his hand.

"Hi, Willow."

Everyone gasps and turns to look at me. I stiffen and stare at him. Noah walks up to me. "There's your apology speech," he whispers. With wide eyes, I watch Dane.

"Eh... If you didn't, like, notice, that was our song," he says and I giggle. Of course I did! He's so nervous, it's really cute.He fumbles at his sleeve.

"I wanted to say I'm so, so sorry. I can't even begin to explain how sorry I am, but I guess I have to." He walks down, to the field. Now he's standing across me, but with fifty feet between us. 

"I can't believe I said all those things to you. You've been with one guy, and I call you a slut? Hell, I'm the slut of us two. And when I said I've never loved you? It was the most awful lie I've ever said. I love you, Willow, and I always will."

I gasp and tears sting in my eyes. He does love me?

He looks at me, unsure if he has to say something else. He doesn't. I run to him and jump up against him, so hard he falls back. He's laying on his back on the field now, and me on top of him. 

His eyes show happiness, but he doesn't say or do anything. He's still waiting for me. So, I kiss him roughly and he wraps his arms around me. 

Everyone starts clapping and I laugh, hugging him. "Hi," I whisper. He sighs happily and runs his hand through my hair. "Hey," he whispers back. I smile.

"I love you too, Dane," I say and kiss him all over his face. He smiles and laughs and hugs me even more. "Oh, I missed you so much," he tells me.

I nod. "I know, baby. Come here," I cup his face and he stands up, with me in his arms. Mom smiles at me, and I give her a wide smile back.