forty seven

"You don't say that to your child."
Marina Young's POV

           They still lived in the same home

They still lived in the same home. The same walls of a home that were never mine, the place I grew within, where they had watered me with poisonous words and false ideas. And I know I stand plotted, rooted into the wood of their porch, a hand that hovers over the doorbell. All I had to do was ring it. All I needed to do was let them see me and I would be a better person at the end of it, even without phrases shared I would still be something more from it all. It's how I get myself to press the button, hearing it go off is a whisper of something more convincing. Even if I always thought it was harder to breathe in New York with them.

When the door opens, brown eyes stare back at me, the same irises that were made of mine. The mahogany shade searches for something within my presence as it starts down at my feet and back up to my face. I knew that man, and I knew that was confirming that whatever was in front of him was real.

My father wanted to make sure everything seemed realistic and achievable. "Marina?" His voice, the sound of my name coming from him could have made me fall to my knees. It could have made me sob, gasping with tears when I would look up at him. Begging him to call me his daughter one last time and I would leave. But instead I stay glued where I stood.

"Appa." I nod curtly, swallowing down those what if's.

"What are you," He shakes his head. "What are you doing here?" He gets out when I clear my throat.

"I, uh," I try to find the answer. "I came to talk to you."

"누가 문 앞에 있어?" Her voice asked him who would be at the other end of him, her footsteps echoing after her words and once she made it toward him, the glass item that was in her hand shattered. It causes me to jump softly, eyes shutting for a moment before I open them to finally see her. She doesn't say a word, just stares.

"Come inside." My father is the one who rushes me in, he shuts the door as he begins to gather the mess. My mother doesn't even help him as she studies me. "One moment, Marina. 자리에 앉으십시오." He says as I do as I'm told and take a spot on the sofa, my eyes scan the walls of this room. They send a chill up my spine.

Still the same.

Just without me.

Photos are gone, trophies, the horrid paintings of a toddler on their mantle. It's purely gone. "Marina." His voice brings me back to them. Both of them in front of me. "Marina, it's been years. What are you doing?"

"Six." I finally say, staring down at my lap after saying the word. "It's been six years." I tell him when I look back up at him. "I haven't spoken to any of you in six years and you haven't spoken to me in six years." He doesn't say anything and after nothing I speak again. "Did you wonder what I looked like?" I ask. "Did you ever look me up, see where I'm at in life? See what I've done?" I pile up now. "Have you ever heard a song?"