forty one

"Go to Cancun with you?"
Marina Young's POV

      I always felt like we were given designated days by whatever power up above that had decided that the next twenty four hours would be a positive one

I always felt like we were given designated days by whatever power up above that had decided that the next twenty four hours would be a positive one. And for the for the past three days, I had not been specialized with the normal numbing I was becoming accustomed to. Instead it had been made to be somewhat relaxing. Even though that definition of relaxing had been slightly adjusted now, I guess it was just more normal. Until today.

"Breaking news in the music industry as we sit here with Elizabeth Johnson, ex-manager of Marina Young giving us an inside on the life of Sunny." The words were a sign for the start of my day, immediately paralyzing as I hold the television remote in my left hand. It goes limp when it falls to the floor and I cover my mouth when I shake my head, eyes still trained on the moving pictures.

"Fuck." I get out, barely audible. "No, no no no."

I begin to shake my head when I pace the floor, the sound of a commercial starts to add to the overwhelming noises. "Welcome back after that short message." The announcer says when I continue to watch the mess spiral out. "I'm here with Elizabeth Johnson," She sits with a leg crossed over the other, a smug look becoming prominent. "So Elizabeth tell us a little bit about Marina Young." He tells her when he folds his hand on his lap. She nods when she leans forward.

"Well Tom," She begins. "I've worked with Marina Young ever since she started in the music industry. But recently that has changed in a way I believed should be shared to the public."

"Now what do you mean by this?" He plays along.

She chuckles a little. "Well we all don't know Marina Young the way I did." She states. "Sure we all think of her as the music industry's sweetheart but where is the actual evidence toward that?" Elizabeth explains. "I started realizing that trouble sort of follows her after her relationship with Dylan," Her words drift off when I begin to block them out, still trying to keep together my sanity.

"It wasn't until recently when she began a complicated relationship with Harry Styles that I noticed the pattern." That's when it gains my full attention, I begin to shake my head again. "Because there is a pattern with Marina Young." She says with a nod. "She's naive, a little too ignorant if you want the full idea. She may be known for her kindness but it's because of decisions she makes that makes her weak." She spits out. "Marina Young won't be able to get much farther in life with the person she is. Even more is she keeps breaking the heart of Harry Styles." She lies when her mouth moves, her words now silent as a ringing start to substitute it.

I knew the world was a little cruel, I remember learning that lesson when my pigtails were still decorated with pink barrettes. But I didn't understand why it made my existence a constant battlefield. The phone ringing is what made me shift back to reality as my vision becomes blurry with tears. I try to wipe them away when I pick it up and answer it. "Hello?" I croak out.