thirty seven

"If you know what's best for her, you'll leave her alone."
Harry Styles' POV

January 1st, 2019 -

January 1st, 2019 -

"5, 4, 3, 2, 1 ...." They begin to chant. "Happy New Year!" My family cheers as the noise heightens from the start of another year, a smile of gratitude appears when we embrace each other. A kiss on the cheek is given to every individual as we say the same three words. Within the first minute of the new year and I was already having the image of Sunny on my mind. I knew it didn't make much sense to call her yet since I was eight hours ahead. Instead a voice in my head says it to her in hopes that maybe in another time she could actually hear it come from me. Which seemed to work in some way when my phone buzzes in my pocket. I start to walk away from the group in the living room when I see her name appear on my screen, I swipe my finger across it to answer.

"Happy New Year mon amour!" She shouts through the phone and I feel myself not being able to stop my growing grin as I hear her voice. I can't help but laugh a little as I look down.

"It's like four pm over there, what are you doing?" I ask her in disbelief that she called.

"I know." She tells me, her sweet voice oozing like honey from her side. "But I checked the time there on my phone to make sure I could wish you a new year." Sunny explains. "So here I am."

"I love you." I answer with, a sad smile forming over my lips as I sigh softly. I wanted to live in a world where Sunny was in front of me, where I could easily study the way her smile lights a room, or have her lips pressed against mine to taste her strawberry lip balm.

"I love you too." She says. "And you don't have to call me say Happy New Year, I know it'll be a weirder time for you." Sunny adds and I scoff a little at my silent disagreement. I was gonna call her too for her new year. And I believed she noticed that as she take a deep breath. "But knowing you, you won't listen to me and just set an alarm to wake yourself up and tell me." She says now.

"There you go love." I tell her and she laughs softly. "I miss you." I add after a moment of silence. I could feel her smile from my end and it causes an ache in my chest. "I miss you a lot." I repeat.

"I miss you more." Sunny answers.

Then there was the lack of words, just the need to appreciate the presence of one another over the phone. "Sunny," I say first and I hear her small hum in response. "You know I love you, right?" I bring up. "That I mean it when I tell it to you and always have .. You mean a lot to me."

She chuckles faintly. "Of course I do." Sunny states. "Why wouldn't I?"

I frown faintly when I nod, although she couldn't see. "Harry?" I hear my name, getting my attention when I turn around and see Gemma in the doorway as I paced the hallway. "Mum's asking for you." She informs me. "Are you on the phone with Sunny?" Gemma notices as I nod.