032 the smallest of smiles

🝆 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘 𝐓𝐖𝐎 🝆
𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐌𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐄𝐒𝐓 𝐎𝐅 𝐒𝐌𝐈𝐋𝐄𝐒

🝆 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘 𝐓𝐖𝐎 🝆𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐌𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐄𝐒𝐓 𝐎𝐅 𝐒𝐌𝐈𝐋𝐄𝐒

Fighting a pro hero was something Naoko had hoped to never be faced with again.

When Principal Nezu jumped out of Aizawa's capture weapon, yelling that the contents of the test had changed, Naoko immediately felt apprehensive.

Her anxieties grew exponentially as the test was explained and her classmates were partnered up out loud.

"The ten teams will be starting in their respective stages simultaneously. The general outline of the test will be explained by each of the teachers you'll be battling. You're to be transported by the campus buses. Time is precious, so get in them promptly."

As happy as Naoko was that she was partnered with one of her best friends, she couldn't speak a word to him as they travelled to their designated battle stage. The bus ride was filled with deep breaths, and Eijirou's worried eyes raking over the girl's figure. The boy had no idea how to console the girl--it was clear enough to him that she wasn't simply anxious about fighting a strong opponent. She had the confidence to do that; there was something else about the situation that bothered her. Rather than interrogating the girl, however, the red haired boy simply held her hand, ignoring the temperature changes that flashed across her palm.

Walking into the cityscape hand in hand, Kirishima looked around, enough awe written on his face for the both of them. Both students could immediately understand their disadvantage, as their surroundings clearly favored their opponent's quirk, cement.

"Eijirou..." Naoko whispered as they waited for the go-ahead, "He's a pro."

"Right!" The boy bumped his fists together in front of his chest, a shaky grin revealing his sharp teeth as he spoke, "So we gotta give it all we got!"

The boy stepped forward, only for Naoko to hold a hand out in front of him.

"No," Naoko spoke with a quiet gulp, "I'm reminding you so you don't underestimate him."

Eijirou's eyebrows raised as he looked down at the shorter girl, who wouldn't look at him.

"Even with a handicap," Naoko shook her head hopelessly, "He's stronger than we are. He has more experience and endurance than us combined. You can't punch your way through this."

The girl's hand that rested on the boy's chest began to shake, "I'm not... We're not strong enough."

The girl's voice fell to a whisper, one Eijirou could hardly make out, "He said..."

'I'm'? 'He'? The boy noticed his friend's voice shake, her chest rising and falling faster with every passing second. He pulled her hand away from his chest as he stepped in front of her, holding her palm between his own. She still wouldn't look up at him, unfocused eyes staring into the asphalt they stood on.