041 public apology

🝆 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐘 𝐎𝐍𝐄 🝆
𝐏𝐔𝐁𝐋𝐈𝐂 𝐀𝐏𝐎𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐘

note: the next few chapters are largely canon-compliant, and mostly follows the events exactly as they happened in the manga (40+41 are practically a retelling of like 5 manga chapters)

only small portions of this chapter are unique to the naoko storyline. in other words, boring chapter ahead.

🝆 🜂 🝆

The next day, the grounds of UA were flooded with people.

"For a training camp to prepare students for combat with villains to be attacked... it is shameful."

Despite classes being released for summer break, faculty gathered inside the conference room.

"'Fear of villain activation.' We were too naive in recognizing the legitimacy of this threat," Nezu said, "They have already begun the war. The war to destroy our hero society."

Midnight spoke, her hero mask resting on the crown of her head, and her face uncharacteristically missing its smile, "Even if we had recognized this threat, there's a question of if we could have done anything to defend against it. This was such a rapid set of developments... Ever since All Might, we had thought almost all organized crime had been weeded out."

Present Mic continued, "The main point is that without realizing it, the peace has made us grow soft. To even think that we had the time 'to prepare' for villains, once we became aware of their threat."

All Might, in his small form, spoke quietly, with a voice that trembled and hands that shook, "My own worthlessness infuriates my entire being... While they were all desperately fighting, I was just hanging around!"

Ignoring the self-deprecating comment, Nezu continued, "Things like having the sports festival immediately after an attack... we can longer continue our 'undaunted' approach with these matters. Student abductions... a suspected death... This is undoubtedly UA's greatest failure. They snatched away not only our students, but our credibility as heroes-"

Nezu held up a newspaper and a tablet, "Right now, the media's in a frenzy with criticisms of UA. Bakugo likely became their target when he exhibited his wild nature at the sports festival, if he somehow is brought over to the side of the villains, it could spell the end of UA as an educational institution. Todoroki's ferocity at the USJ as well, may have inspired the villain's actions."

Present Mic spoke before anyone else could, his eyes narrowed behind his glasses, "We're already talking about credibility, so there's something I'd like to say. In light of recent events, it's indisputable that among us, there is... a traitor."

Lifting his hand as though to count off his fingers, the hero continued, "Only teachers and the Pussycats knew the location of the training camp! And that's not the only thing - if you use cell phone location data, even students... With the state of things on Naoko's end- just the jacket-"