038 one last embrace

🝆 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘 𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 🝆
𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝐋𝐀𝐒𝐓 𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄

The next day, the majority of the class joined training with sleep deprivation written clear across their faces

Aizawa chewed out the students taking remedial lessons, his strict facial expressions and harsh words a total 180 from how he interacted with Naoko the day before, allowing her a break.

She shuffled uncomfortably as the man chided the class about their work ethics and motivations, "No matter what you do, never forget your fundamental drive. That's how you improve and progress. Why am I working this hard? Why am I putting up with being chewed out like this? To what end? Always keep the answer to that question in mind."

Naoko clenched her fists, thinking about what her motivations even were at that point. When she signed up for U.A., she wanted to prove her father wrong about her. She wanted to achieve the dream that her and Touya held together, for the both of them. She wanted to become a hero against the odds, to show to Endeavor that he was wrong from the start - that she was strong in her own right, as was her eldest brother.

But months passed, and the more she fully dove into the hero world, the more she realized just how fucked it was. From what Shigaraki said at the U.S.J., to the way her father nearly killed her after the sports festival... The words of the Hero Killer that were burned into her mind, the rant that the stranger with the scar on his forehead went on about the world...

The anger that bubbled inside of her as she continued to ruminate over the things her father had done, the rage that thudded in her chest as she pictured herself taking her sick revenge. What good were heroes, even? The world was far too complicated and complex for these titles - these badges of privilege.

Why would she want to share anything with the man that abused her and her siblings, neglected them, threw them away like garbage that was starting to stink up his house? How could she ever dream of being anything like the man that beat her, that drove the only person to ever love her to his death - how could she ever want to be like the man that got away with it?

Just weeks ago, the girl wanted to be a hero to stick it to her father, then to somehow fix the shattered system from the inside. This system was so far beyond repair... what would she be able to do anyway? Who would take her word over the No.2 Hero's?

Something bigger needed to happen in order to change anything.

Naoko grit her teeth, her gaze on the ground, watching the dirt as she pushed it around with the toe of her shoe. Her hair fell over her ear, shadowing her face as her thoughts quieted and she listened to whatever the pro heroes were saying.

"Nya~" Pixie-Bob held her paws up to her blushing cheeks, "Allow me to change the topic! Let's talk about tonight's plans!"

The classes grew in volume, excited and curious murmurs joining the huffs and pants from their training.