Chapter 25

Happy Reading :)

"Melvin what is Marcus doing to Ronnie?" I was horrified, Marcus had been with Ronnie for five whole minutes.

"Whatever he needs to do," Was Melvin's only response, he was breathing heavily, still trying to gain control over his anger. He looked at me.

"I'm sorry he said that to you," He looked as if he was struggling to word it, "I should have known,"

"What do you mean, Melv, it's not your fault," I was confused, why was he blaming himself? Was he trying to guilt trip me into admitting I was still with Damon? Or was there something else I just didn't know.

"Goddamnit, I should have listened," He was getting angry again but I didn't understand.

"Melvin you're scaring me, listened to who?" I urged when suddenly Brian, one of Marcus' close friends ran out. 

"Where is he?" He barked angrily, I didn't know how but someway he knew that Marcus was up to something.

I pointed to where Marcus had dragged Ronnie and Brian ran into the dark. Brian came out dragging Ronnie with him, he had a nose bleed and a black eye but no worse than what Melvin had done to him.

"Where is Brian taking him?" I asked.

"Home," Melvin said through gritted teeth, Brian opened the door of his car for Ronnie and slammed it shut. He then walked towards us with meaningful strides.

"Are you okay kiddo?" He asked me, patting my head when I nodded.

"I'm sorry man I knew I should hav-" Melvin started but Brian interrupted.

"Don't do that, don't beat yourself up about it, no one really knew," Brian said to Melvin, they kept mentioning something they should have known and I was completely oblivious.

"What's going on?" I questioned, wrapping my arms around myself, I shouldn't have taken off my damn jacket.

"James is going to take care of him, you just get her inside and forget about it," Brian said ignoring my question, "And get a jacket on her," He added as an afterthought.

"Yeah of course, come on Lyd," Melvin draped his jacket over my shoulders and led me to the front door. 

James stomped out of the house and looked at us expectantly. I pointed to where Marcus was and James walked over giving me a sympathetic look.

We walked in and Melvin's demeanor completely changed. He went from brooding brother to happy party goer within seconds. I shrugged off his jacket and handed it back to him, I would find mine later.

"Listen Lydia go find Lexi and hang out, I'm going to go by Marcus, you're okay right?" He asked.

"Yeah Melvin I'm fine, I just want to know-"

"You're not going to cry on me are you?" There it was, that was why I never cry in front of my brothers, I knew Melvin was mostly just trying to change the subject but I would be seen as a weakling for the next few weeks. He wouldn't let me live it down.

"Melvin!" I snapped.

"Lydia, just stop asking so many questions, go enjoy the party until we decide what to do okay?" He said firmly.

"Okay," I finally agreed, there was nothing else I could do.

"Lydia! Get your ass over here!" I heard Lexi yell from the other side of the room, I almost forgot about her.

"Go grab your jacket too," He said and shoved me.

"Love you too fratello," I shook my head, some brother he was.